Multiple Devices turn on, but should not...

I have been using the ISY for a few years now and up until now have had no issues.

I bought a few of the Insteon Mini Remotes and am having difficulties with one button's programming.  Here's the setup.  I have one of those ubiquitous multi headed couch lights and it is plugged into a lamp dimmer module.  At this point all I desire is to just turn it on and off.  I have an on/off wall switch in the kitchen that is also on the keypad, separate button.

Both function correctly if controlled by the PC software.

The kitchen light will turn on and off correctly from the mini remote by pressing the associated button.  However pressing the button programmed for the couch light, will cause the kitchen light to come on as well.  They both turn off when this button is pressed.

To say the least I am baffled.

Bill

Well....assuming that you have not inadvertently created any scenes or programs that would cause this, and given that you are not too far along yet, my recommendation is that you remove your three insteon devices (switch, remote, lamp dimmer) from the ISY and factory reset all (not the ISY).    Add all three back to ISY.  Confirm nothing controls nothing.  Start adding scenes back as desired, checking along the way that things are working as they should.

The theory here is that, sometimes, things come from the factory not entirely cleared of memory and may be causing unexpected problems.

If you are unsure about scenes or programs, feel free to post an image of either.  Make sure your scene for kitchen has only one button for controller and switch as responder.  For your couch lights, a different (and only one) button for controller and dimmer module as responder. When you turn on from the admin console, make sure you are doing so by turning on the scene rather than by individual devices. 

With the idea of "process of elimination", I grabbed a spare remote and programmed a button with the exact same program for the couch light.

Works normally...

I think my next move is to do a reset of the remote in question and start over with it.  The common element seems to be the remote itself.

My concern with this approach is that links between devices are generally stored in both devices. If, in fact, there is an unknown scene between your remote and kitchen light, resetting only the remote would leave extra links in the kitchen light.  This could cause issues at some point.

There is another step you may want to try: restore the devices.  Right-click on each of the three device.  You should find the restore option.  Be aware...you may need to put the remote into linking mode in order to write changes to it.

I did a factory reset to the mini remote in question and then reinstalled it.

Everything works as it should, though I am still mystified due to the devices having different addresses.

I have never in the few years I have been working with these devices run across this.  I appreciate the direction.

Bill

Archived