Unrequested / unscheduled All On

GTCJ

Whole house Insteon system, about 200 devices installed about 5 years ago.   Once or twice a year, for no apparent reason almost every device will go to full on status including lights and appliances.  In the past two weeks this has happened 3 times.    There is never any indication in the log that explains this or even indicates that it occurred.  There are no "all on" scenes or programs in the system.  Linked keypadlincs do not indicate the changed to on status of linked devices - nor does the ISY administrative console show the status as on.image.png.20816d4d3cc33fc7ef02336289bb1676.png

haven't found anything in the forums, looking for any insight on what may be causing this condition.

9 minutes ago, GTCJ said:

Thank you for the help.  I appreciate it.  I'm confident that it is a data packet collision issue.  Will continue to investigate.

You're welcome, I hope you get it figured out. FWIW its worth I do have programs using control in the IF, where the device referenced is a controller, but there is at least 5 seconds before any insteon comand is sent.  Also, creating scenes and using them in programs to control multiple devices is generally preferred over back to back set device on/off commands in ISY programs... both aesthetically and operationally. Back to back insteon commands in ISY programs can also cause collisions

Paul

Thanks again.  I too have programs using control in the "IF" where the device is a controller and I mostly but not always have delays between commands, but not always.  Your comment on scenes is my preferred way to operate, mostly for consistency.    Lot's of programs and scenes to review to get to the bottom of this. 

10 minutes ago, GTCJ said:

Thanks again.  I too have programs using control in the "IF" where the device is a controller and I mostly but not always have delays between commands, but not always.  Your comment on scenes is my preferred way to operate, mostly for consistency.    Lot's of programs and scenes to review to get to the bottom of this. 

Yeh that's the downside... the guidance from the link is simple but rooting through programs can be problematic.  Also, one last one... if multiple programs kick off from the same event (if .... then)... (or at the same time for other reasons), and those programs control insteon devices.. same effect.

Its common for all roads to lead to wireless sensors,, open close and particularly motion sensors. Motions are problematic because, depending how they are configured, they continue to send commands as people/pets move around and motion is sensed in an area. If they are "control" in programs, and those programs control insteon lights, insteon commands and acknowledgements are sent again, and again. 

Paul

Yes I understand the wireless issues.  There are about 20 motion sensors and a dozen water sensors in the system (lots of hardwood floors - water leaks can be very bad)  And many of my programs are indeed controlled by motion sensors.

I appreciate your insight

Archived