PLM not connected

11 minutes ago, smarthome_newbie said:

In the admin console, the PLM says "not connected."  This is my first install.  I have ethernet cable from the PLM to the ISY and ethernet cable from the ISY to my router.  My router is a Cisco RV 340.  Any idea what's going on here?  Thanks!

The PLM must be powered up a few seconds before the ISY. ISY looks for the PLM and if not found does not install the drivers, assuming you have a Zwave or other non-Insteon system.

Also the correct software must be installed as one version will allow no PLM and the other version demands one.

The cable is not Ethernet, but looks the same. The connection is actually serial. Some cables may not work if they are not the right configuration.

2 minutes ago, larryllix said:

The PLM must be powered up a few seconds before the ISY. ISY looks for the PLM and if not found does not install the drivers, assuming you have a Zwave or other non-Insteon system.

Also the correct software must be installed as one version will allow not PLM and the other version demands it.

The cable is not Ethernet, but looks the same. The connection is actually serial. Some cables may not work if they are not the right configuration.

This time I made sure the PLM was turned on first.  Now I get error "Socket Open failed java.netConnectionexception:connection refused.'

3 minutes ago, smarthome_newbie said:

This time I made sure the PLM was turned on first.  Now I get error "Socket Open failed java.netConnectionexception:connection refused.'

That is an Ethernet error. Where are you seeing this error?

Check into your java firewall settings and make sure ISY is listed as permitted through.

Just now, larryllix said:

That is an Ethernet error. Where are you seeing this error?

I think it is because it restarted my session.  I logged out of admin console and back in.  Got the not connected error again.  I'm just using a standard ethernet cable actually.  So you mean I need to get a different cable?  I guess that could be the problem.

4 minutes ago, smarthome_newbie said:

I think it is because it restarted my session.  I logged out of admin console and back in.  Got the not connected error again.  I'm just using a standard ethernet cable actually.  So you mean I need to get a different cable?  I guess that could be the problem.

It was the cable.  I found a CAT5E patch cable and it worked!  Thanks.  Could this also be why my Comcast internet is only getting 200GPS instead of 1GIG?  Do I need the same CAT5E patch cable going from modem to router, etc.?  Just using an old ethernet cable now.

1 minute ago, smarthome_newbie said:

No. The cable is a standard Ethernet cable/jumper and supposed to be. I mentioned it in case you swapped it for your own. The interface between ISY and the PLM is a serial at 32 Kbaud, IIRC. The cable is a commercial standard RS-232 used in a lot of office computer equipment.

Is your SD card seated properly in the ISY? Try removing and replacing it, with ISY powered down, then power cycle your PLM, wait 30 seconds and power up your ISY.

Archived