Harmony Home Control Buttons - Limitations vs using IR - how to implement state machine

JTsao

I received my Polisy yesterday, and have a couple of node servers running including the Hue Emulator.  I appreciate the fact that I can now turn scenes on and off with the dedicated home control buttons on the Harmony Companion, however, Logitech really did me a dis-service by not allowing those buttons to be assigned to IR commands to the ISY.  Previously, I used Harmony IR remotes (650, 665) to send an IR command to the ISY to adjust lighting in TV viewing areas.  Each time this IR command was received, it would cycle through a state machine of lighting options for that room.  I have implemented this in a couple ways over the years, the most obvious one being to increment a state variable every time the IR command is received, then adjust the lights accordingly.  Now, the dedicated lighting buttons on the Harmony Companion can only turn a scene on and off.  I don't see a clear way to take a program action based on a scene turning on and off to duplicate the state machine type of control, outside of dedicating some unused hardware to trigger a program.  So I guess this may regress to the discussion of having a dummy scene trigger a program action.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

The companion does have those buttons, but they appear to only brighten or dim the current scene/device selected by the other home control buttons.  In the meantime, I have found a sub-optimal solution for this in that I created a "trigger" scene where the fireplace light is set to 10%.  This scene is assigned to one of the home control buttons.  A program runs when the fireplace light is 10% which increments a state variable.  The state variable is then used to control the lighting.  Since the fireplace light is present in the various state machine scenes, pressing the button makes the fireplace light go to 10% briefly, then it goes to whatever state it is supposed to be in.  So as long as no state has the fireplace light set to 10%, this seems to work but I wish the ISY could run a program when a scene is turned on.

Right now I am really happy about finally being able to just use those dedicated home control buttons on the remote - having the optional ability to run programs off both the rocker switch and the other 4 buttons would be even sweeter.  Not sure how the program would get associated with the scene assigned to the button, maybe in some custom config. parameters - I've only had the Polisy since yesterday and have not previously used any node servers.  Although I have a technical background, it would take me a while to learn/understand the code and about Polyglot but I will definitely take a look.  Thanks for developing this!

Archived