Ding-Dong and other sounds, how?

oskrypuch

I have my old X-10 ding-donger, which works fine. I have it chime once for motion, and twice for the garage door opening, but it very limited. Would prefer to be able to have distinct chimes or sounds to announce certain events.

There doesn't appear to be any unit out there in Insteon, hopefully the old X-10 will keep going. I do have the Z-Wave capable ISY, but have no experience in Z-Wave thus far.

Anyone achieved this, without having it get too complicated?

* Orest

6 minutes ago, oskrypuch said:

I have my old X-10 ding-donger, which works fine. I have it chime once for motion, and twice for the garage door opening, but it very limited. Would prefer to be able to have distinct chimes or sounds to announce certain events.

There doesn't appear to be any unit out there in Insteon, hopefully the old X-10 will keep going. I do have the Z-Wave capable ISY, but have no experience in Z-Wave thus far.

* Orest

Simple way is with a Z-Wave siren that supports chimes/sounds.  The Zooz ZSE19 works with the ISY.

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/collections/alarms-and-sirens/products/zooz-z-wave-plus-s2-multisiren-zse19-with-temperature-and-humidity-sensors

1 hour ago, oskrypuch said:

* Orest

It has been awhile my friend so if you have some time and a little budget. You may consider going this route as it will allow you to use any sound file your heart desires: 

Again, much thanks to my dear friend @Thanatar who made a pipe dream come into reality! I've been rocking this local first voice / sound system for several years.

A simple, and a more complete solution. Thanks.

@simplextechI have no Z-wave devices at present, do I just need the ZSE19 with my Z-wave enabled ISY, and then just a software setup? Or, do I need some other hardware. Does the Zooz device also provide a volume appropriate for a chime, rather than a full bore siren sound level?

* Orest

40 minutes ago, oskrypuch said:

A simple, and a more complete solution. Thanks.

@simplextechI have no Z-wave devices at present, do I just need the ZSE19 with my Z-wave enabled ISY, and then just a software setup? Or, do I need some other hardware. Does the Zooz device also provide a volume appropriate for a chime, rather than a full bore siren sound level?

* Orest

Z-Wave is a mesh protocol so if you don't have any other devices then you're not going to have a good experience.  The ZSE19 is battery operated so if needs repeaters otherwise it will have to be in the same room as the ISY to work.

9 minutes ago, oskrypuch said:

Can you suggest good Z-wave repeaters, to make this work? Would you need one in the room with the ISY, and then one in the room with the ding-donger?

Found this one:

Aeotec Zwave Plug in Range Extender 6 Repeater Gen 5

* Orest

That repeater is good and you can generally find a 2 pack on Amazon that's a good bargain.  Placement of repeaters is more of an art than science.  Open air range generally is safe to say 15' if there's thick walls of dense material the range will be shorter.  So really it's a try a spot and test move if needed.  I tend to use plugin power modules in strategic areas for repeaters.  They work dual function for z-wave and you get a on/off outlet you can now control.... All powered Z-Wave Plus devices are repeaters so it's usually a better bargain to get plugin modules that can be dual purpose than repeater only devices.

Archived