Echo Announcements - Anyone Else Having Problem?

jgcharlotte

I'm using routines (not notifications) in Alexa to announce various things; 'garage door is opening', etc.  Was working great.

All of a sudden, in addition to the intended message, she is spouting a bunch of other gibberish, sounds like 'Amazon selection blah blah blah, then my message, then the gibberish again.

Anyone else having this problem? 

9 minutes ago, randyth said:

I just got an email from one of my Virtual Buttons skill users who is encountering this very problem, so you are not alone.

It's weird, but I have to believe it will likely get fixed by Amazon soon.

-Randy

That was me, might as well join the conversation directly.  It sounds like Amazon is bracketing the actual Say text with something close to <AmazonForceUnitSelection> "actual text' </AmazonForceUnitSelection>.  Anyone has Jeff's phone number?

1 minute ago, Lexx said:

That was me, might as well join the conversation directly.  It sounds like Amazon is bracketing the actual Say text with something close to <AmazonForceUnitSelection> "actual text' </AmazonForceUnitSelection>.  Anyone has Jeff's phone number?

Small world!

Well, sadly, I do not have Jeff's number.

Let us know if it goes away on its own or if you had to do something like change the announcement text.

I know this is an easier way to integrate voice announcements with less investment in time. But, this is a perfect example of why Local First vs Cloud First is key. Requires no reliance on the Internet or a third party vendor making changes or interrupting service.

Workaround: change current Alexa Says/Custom action which is what triggers this bug right now, to Messaging/Send Announcement action.  It generates an extraneous tone, but at least it doesn't pollute the voice part with this garbage.

16 hours ago, Teken said:

I know this is an easier way to integrate voice announcements with less investment in time. But, this is a perfect example of why Local First vs Cloud First is key. Requires no reliance on the Internet or a third party vendor making changes or interrupting service.

This is so true.  Imagine doing all of your scheduling and programming in the cloud.  

"Oh, gee, a glitch on their server set my furnace to 100 degrees"

6 hours ago, jgcharlotte said:

This is so true.  Imagine doing all of your scheduling and programming in the cloud.  

"Oh, gee, a glitch on their server set my furnace to 100 degrees"

What are you doing in the Doctor's office today, Mr Smith? Your appointment was last week.

Archived