Replaced bad 6-button Keypad with 8-button via Admin Console - Where are buttons #7, #8?

telljcl

An old 6 button keypadlinc finally went out, and via the Admin Console I added the new 8 button, then used "replace with" to replace 6 button with the 8 button I just added to the system.

All seems to work, but my 8 button KPL is now showing as a 6 in Admin console. Any way to add the missing 2 buttons for a total of 8?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Techman said:

When you do a "replace with" it must be like for like. You'll probably have to uninstall it then reinstall it as a new 8 button keypad.

Makes sense, but usually the option box won't show devices that aren't the same (like replacing a plug in dimmer module with a plug in on/off module).

Since it showed up in the list of devices that were "OK" to replace it with, I assumed it was OK, but maybe you're right and I should just delete and reinstall. Don't have much in the way of interconnectivity with that device.

The 6 button and 8 button keypads are basically one of the same. Their firmware can be reconfigured for a 6 to appear as an 8 and visa versa. Smarthome has, or had, button kits available to change one for the other.

If you had first reconfigured the keypad to a 6 button then done a "replace with" it would have been a seamless replacement.

54 minutes ago, Techman said:

The 6 button and 8 button keypads are basically one of the same. Their firmware can be reconfigured for a 6 to appear as an 8 and visa versa. Smarthome has, or had, button kits available to change one for the other.

If you had first reconfigured the keypad to a 6 button then done a "replace with" it would have been a seamless replacement.

Good to know - thanks for the clarification.

I wish it was possible to replace dimmers with on/off and vice versa (in those cases where you weren't using the dimming function), but I could see the issues which could arise in programs, but if you replaced an 8 button with a 6 I could see similar problems (but maybe you can't - I did 6>>8).

Archived