DarkSky acquired by Apple

@bpwwer  Since the DarkSky API service will only be around until the end of 2021 and you have written most of the weather related NodeServers, can you point us to the next best option?  I see your recommendations above, but which are best if you do not own a weather station?

Maybe it is time to buy a personal weather station instead of relying on others.  I have avoided weather stations because they were a known source or RF interference.  Since I have a lot of transceivers and RF equipment on site, I have avoided this option.  Perhaps they are build better these days or they can be hard wired.

3 hours ago, Whitehambone said:

@bpwwer  Since the DarkSky API service will only be around until the end of 2021 and you have written most of the weather related NodeServers, can you point us to the next best option?  I see your recommendations above, but which are best if you do not own a weather station?

Maybe it is time to buy a personal weather station instead of relying on others.  I have avoided weather stations because they were a known source or RF interference.  Since I have a lot of transceivers and RF equipment on site, I have avoided this option.  Perhaps they are build better these days or they can be hard wired.

I don't try to categorize them from best to worse because they very in how well they support any given location. One may provided better data for location a but another is better for location b. 

The forecast information from OpenWeatherMap is not as complete as the others, but that should change once I switch to using the new API for forecasts that they've recently released.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
3 hours ago, mapeter said:

A few weeks ago, the DarkSky node server in Polyglot Cloud started as showing as "Unmanaged" for me.  It is no longer updating my ISY and I cannot figure out how to delete it.

I'm not very familiar with Polyglot Cloud so I don't really know why it would show something as unmanaged that was previously managed. 

For PG2, when a node server is installed, the ISY is configured with the node server information, including the IP address of the polyglot instance that is managing the node server.  The polygot instance saves information about the node server in it's database.   Every few minutes, PG2 queries the ISY for the node servers that have been configured and compares that against what it has in it's database.  If a node server is configured on the ISY, but not in the PG2's database, PG2 will mark that node server slot as unmanaged.  Since it's not in it's database, it assumes that some other instance of Polyglot (another running PG2 or Polyglot Cloud) is managing that node server.

I assume Polyglot cloud is roughly the same.  Thus unmanaged means that, for some unknown reason,  it is no longer in the database.   Unfortunately, there isn't any way to recover and re-populate Polyglot cloud's database.  I believe the only option at this point is to delete the node server configuration on the ISY and then re-install the node server.

To delete the node server configuration on the ISY.  Use the Admin Console and select "Node Servers" -> "Configure" -> "[2] DarkSky" from the menus and press the Delete button.  After a few minutes, it should disappear from Polyglot Cloud.

1 hour ago, bpwwer said:

I'm not very familiar with Polyglot Cloud so I don't really know why it would show something as unmanaged that was previously managed. 

For PG2, when a node server is installed, the ISY is configured with the node server information, including the IP address of the polyglot instance that is managing the node server.  The polygot instance saves information about the node server in it's database.   Every few minutes, PG2 queries the ISY for the node servers that have been configured and compares that against what it has in it's database.  If a node server is configured on the ISY, but not in the PG2's database, PG2 will mark that node server slot as unmanaged.  Since it's not in it's database, it assumes that some other instance of Polyglot (another running PG2 or Polyglot Cloud) is managing that node server.

I assume Polyglot cloud is roughly the same.  Thus unmanaged means that, for some unknown reason,  it is no longer in the database.   Unfortunately, there isn't any way to recover and re-populate Polyglot cloud's database.  I believe the only option at this point is to delete the node server configuration on the ISY and then re-install the node server.

To delete the node server configuration on the ISY.  Use the Admin Console and select "Node Servers" -> "Configure" -> "[2] DarkSky" from the menus and press the Delete button.  After a few minutes, it should disappear from Polyglot Cloud.

If you added your nodeservers in Polisy (or an on a RPi) then these nodeservers will show as unmanaged when viewing in Polyglot Cloud, and (I assume) the same vice versa. As such, I suspect that @mapeter's nodeservers are not in PG Cloud.

1 hour ago, asbril said:

As such, I suspect that @mapeter's nodeservers are not in PG Cloud.

The DarkSky node server was originally set up in PG Cloud and until recently was managed by PG Cloud.

3 hours ago, bpwwer said:

Thanks Bob, this worked.  The node server has been successfully deleted.

Archived