Vertical blind tilt control

tazman

Hello all, I am searching for a way to control my existing vertical blinds that use a rod to tilt the slats open and close. I found E-Wand which I like the idea of the automated sensors but I doubt they would work the way I would want on their own and with a RF remote they will not tie into ISY at all https://currentproductscorp.com/products/e-wand I also found the Soma Tilt which is at least supported through Alexa and I can link with ISY in any way I would want that way I would just have to buy their hub also https://www.somasmarthome.com/pages/smart-tilt

Does anybody have any experience with either of these or have something else they could recommend?

Hello all, I am searching for a way to control my existing vertical blinds that use a rod to tilt the slats open and close. I found E-Wand which I like the idea of the automated sensors but I doubt they would work the way I would want on their own and with a RF remote they will not tie into ISY at all https://currentproductscorp.com/products/e-wand I also found the Soma Tilt which is at least supported through Alexa and I can link with ISY in any way I would want that way I would just have to buy their hub also https://www.somasmarthome.com/pages/smart-tilt Does anybody have any experience with either of these or have something else they could recommend?

I’ve been tracking this company for several years since their initial release: https://myiblinds.com/collections/frontpage

What attracted me to this is the fact it works with existing blinds. The secondary reason was Z-Wave support. I don’t recall if any member is using this brand / model but you might consider this on your short list.

If you pull the trigger please do consider offering your personal experience and feedback here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Teken said:

I’ve been tracking this company for several years since their initial release: https://myiblinds.com/collections/frontpage

What attracted me to this is the fact it works with existing blinds. The secondary reason was Z-Wave support. I don’t recall if any member is using this brand / model but you might consider this on your short list.

If you pull the trigger please do consider offering your personal experience and feedback here. emoji106.png

I have two iBlind units installed with five more to install. One has been installed since February and the other for about a week. They seem to work very well. ISY added them quickly and easily. I have not been able to figure out to get them to open part way and then go back to having them open all the way or 50% which is open all the way. I have the solar panels that seem to keep the small battery charged as long as you don't use them a lot at one time. During setup etc. I have depleted the charge in the battery.

Attached are two screen shots of the nodes in the admin console.

2020-05-14 (1).png

2020-05-14.png

35 minutes ago, dbuss said:

I have two iBlind units installed with five more to install. One has been installed since February and the other for about a week. They seem to work very well. ISY added them quickly and easily. I have not been able to figure out to get them to open part way and then go back to having them open all the way or 50% which is open all the way. I have the solar panels that seem to keep the small battery charged as long as you don't use them a lot at one time. During setup etc. I have depleted the charge in the battery.

Attached are two screen shots of the nodes in the admin console.

2020-05-14 (1).png

2020-05-14.png

That's so awesome to hear along with the fact the ISY Series Controller had no issues adding them. Any other issues you could share with would you purchase again if you had to do it all over again??

2 minutes ago, Teken said:

That's so awesome to hear along with the fact the ISY Series Controller had no issues adding them. Any other issues you could share with would you purchase again if you had to do it all over again??

Well, I purchased my first one and after a couple months of using it, I bought six more. So, I guess, I did all over again already. The issues I listed are really the only issues I've experienced thus far.

Well, I purchased my first one and after a couple months of using it, I bought six more. So, I guess, I did all over again already. The issues I listed are really the only issues I've experienced thus far.

2 hours ago, Teken said:

If you pull the trigger please do consider offering your personal experience and feedback here. emoji106.png

Yes I saw those in my search thanks. From what I can tell their unit mounts in the rail which I don't think will work with the vertical blinds I have since the veins slide on the rotating shaft and must be close to the end to not have a gap.

Yes I saw those in my search thanks. From what I can tell their unit mounts in the rail which I don't think will work with the vertical blinds I have since the veins slide on the rotating shaft and must be close to the end to not have a gap.

If possible could you provide a photo of the current inner workings of the blinds in question?

There is another brand / model I saw on YouTube and perhaps this one might fit your needs.

This is an image I found online that is similar, I am not at home right now but I could get you an actual picture later.. I think it will have to be externally controlled and I am leaning towards the Soma but they are bluetooth and their connect hub is a Pi machine to connect them to Alexa and I am a little concerned how well it all works together.

graber-g71-headrail-po18_1.jpg

Here are some pics of my actual blinds
IMG_20200515_193842226.thumb.jpg.2e94f82e6d84693a348f726d5629412b.jpg
IMG_20200515_193910214.thumb.jpg.64ca9b82edddc417f23a95299670a8de.jpg

There were at least two Kickstarter projects which used the existing rod and cable. The first one was a failure but had huge potential called flik something.

The other was called Axxis I believe and they are as far as I am aware still in business.

I’m trying to find the other model for you as they come up in YouTube all the time. But as always right when you need to see the stupid infomercial it doesn’t!!

Thanks for taking the time Teken! I did see the Flic and that needs the rod on the front af the rail like the horizontal blinds usually have.

The Axis I Googled and it looks like they only do the chain drive units.

I have a question sent to Soma about their hub which is just Pi computer so it would probably work as a node server but making that is beyond my capabilities.  If I do order the Soma I will post back how they work out. 

Thanks for taking the time Teken! I did see the Flic and that needs the rod on the front af the rail like the horizontal blinds usually have.
The Axis I Googled and it looks like they only do the chain drive units.
I have a question sent to Soma about their hub which is just Pi computer so it would probably work as a node server but making that is beyond my capabilities.  If I do order the Soma I will post back how they work out. 

Awesome and look forward to whatever you find out. I’ll circle back if I ever find that other rod / blinds controller. I figured looking at my YouTube history would be so easy until I realized due to the (COVID-19) all I have been doing is watching dozens of videos for hundreds of projects!

You would figure the blasted infomercial would come up sometime?!?

• 6 months later...

I received my Soma Tilt and Connect units. They had a major problem with supply when I was first looking and I contacted them recently to find they would be able to get me what I wanted. I have things connected but I want to make some changes to set it up better. The unit seems to work well with their app but not so well with Alexa because they have closed up, open and closed down which does not seem to be supported in Alexa. There seems to be some support for http commands that I might be able to setup in ISY but I have not tried any of that yet https://support.somasmarthome.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026064234-HTTP-API I will post some more information after I get things working with my abilities to let others know how it is working for me in case someone else might be interested in using them.

• 2 weeks later...

I created the network resource using the WIKI and I will attach a photo of what one of mine looks like. Unfortunately it does not work consistently for me and I have been unable to get assistance to find out why and searching the forum it seems a common thing with the network resources. The commands are in the link I posted above and I changed my mac address to MA in the picture and it seems to work with the : or %3A so I can not give you a works all the time solution.Shades.thumb.png.982a3f5047051765b1b70ccf557d29db.png

8 minutes ago, PhanTomiZ said:

What do you mean by not consistent?  Doesn't respond to commands most of the time or some of the time?  How about examples?

I made a program to run the network resource and it does not always operate the blind even though I know the program ran. It also fails testing the network resource some times but not as often as the program fails.

Disappointing...Does the app work consistently?  For me, I want to be able to open in the morning (sunrise) and close at night{sunset}.  Would be nice to be able to control them through ISY, but I want them to open and close on queue.  WAF!  Also, no physical buttons for the family to operate locally can be frustrating too.  

I like the E-Wand except for the batteries and the lack of rechargeable option.  

How was the DHL shipping?  Delivering here in Canada has added brokerage and clearance fees.  Did you have any shipping surprises waiting when they delivered? 

I have no problems with the app and you can set timed events in the app. Alexa works with the app but only handles open and close in one direction. After I talked with them and verified they had product they could deliver, shipping went smoothly to the US except they sent a tracking number that I was not able to follow.

1 hour ago, PhanTomiZ said:

One last thing:  Do triggers work even if your mobile phone is out of range?  Are triggers and programs stored in the Soma "cube"?  

Knowing how inconsistent it is with Soma Connect, I'll pass on it for now.

PhanTomiZ

I know the triggers work when the app is closed but I just had it closing in the evening when I have been home anyway. If you have Alexa you can have ISY trigger things in that way as long as you set it up to use the direction Alexa can operate it. And just to be clear it is definitely what is sent from ISY that is my problem and it might be that I have something setup wrong.

Well, I pulled the trigger on blind automation.  Only not the ones in this discussion.

For all I need, which is Open @ sunrise and Close @ sunset, I decided to go with the E-Wand.  I really couldn't justify the added cost of having control of them using my ISY.  I really wanted this control, but decided a more economical route for now.  When/if the price drops down in a couple of years, then I will revisit these devices and any new ones on the market.

Now that being said, I will try these E-Wands and assess battery usage, which was one of my concerns.  If I have to, I will come up with a way to install rechargeable batteries and or a wall wort.

Thanks for the discussion...

PhanTomiZ

P.S.  Cost for me was $222 for 3 and a remote for the E-Wands. 

Soma Tilt with Solar $406 + the cost when crossing the border (that's the scariest part of the transaction). 

IBlinds $420 + the cost of border crossing!!!( I like these the most, but they do require more effort to get them installed)

Archived