Smarthome Signalinc 4826A

Hi all,

I have  a question concerning a discontinued item from SMARTHOME.  The Signalinc 4826A.  I found this on Ebay and figured what could it hurt.  After I received it I read that it injected more issues than it resolved.  Insteon used to have a wide range of devices in their stable.  That's why I decided to go with their product line, not so much anymore, too bad.  Anyway, does anyone out there have a history or knowledge of this unit?  The manual states there should be blinking lights when command are sent.  I see none. Again, I really don't have any communications issues to speak of, I just thought It would make my network a bit more robust, but I don't see any change.  It's a great way to add a signal bridge without taking up two slots in service panel.

SmartHome--SignaLinc--X10-Repeater--4826A.pdf

Hi all,

I have  a question concerning a discontinued item from SMARTHOME.  The Signalinc 4826A.  I found this on Ebay and figured what could it hurt.  After I received it I read that it injected more issues than it resolved.  Insteon used to have a wide range of devices in their stable.  That's why I decided to go with their product line, not so much anymore, too bad.  Anyway, does anyone out there have a history or knowledge of this unit?  The manual states there should be blinking lights when command are sent.  I see none. Again, I really don't have any communications issues to speak of, I just thought It would make my network a bit more robust, but I don't see any change.  It's a great way to add a signal bridge without taking up two slots in service panel.

SmartHome--SignaLinc--X10-Repeater--4826A.pdf

I’ve had a similar unit (4 prong) installed for ten years on my dryer without any issues. As I understood if there is X-10 traffic this would be seen - not Insteon.

You can test by sending a X-10 command through the AC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is an X10 active amplifier  phase coupler repeater. That plugged  into a dryer outlet. It was known to sometimes see the end part of an Insteon power  line message as an X10 message and try and send an X10 command back onto the power lines. Sometimes corrupting the Insteon Commands.

Since it was designed for X10 before Insteon was released. It would not repeat Insteon power line commands between the two incoming power lines.

The passive 4816A2 (4 pin) and 4816B2 (3 pin) dryer plug coupler. Can couple an Insteon or X10 command between the two incoming power lines. Plugged into a dryer outlet.

With Dual Band being in most modules these days. A coupler in the breaker box is not as important as it was in the past.

Tested a 4826B 3 pin version. On sending an Insteon power line command. In my case both of the Red Received LED's  flashed a few time on the Insteon messages being sent in the mesh network. The two Green Transmit LED's did not flash. So in my short test. Nothing was resent to possibly corrupt things.

Hi Teken and Brian... Thank you for your input.  Well, after letting this thing run for a few days, It seems to add some latency to my commands.  Maybe it's just me, so I removed it.  Although I really didn't have any comms issues in the first place, no loss to here.  Just curious though.  Teken, you mention sending X-10 commands through the AC.. What's AC?  Again I do appreciate both your feedback. 

16 minutes ago, dpierre said:

Hi Teken and Brian... Thank you for your input.  Well, after letting this thing run for a few days, It seems to add some latency to my commands.  Maybe it's just me, so I removed it.  Although I really didn't have any comms issues in the first place, no loss to here.  Just curious though.  Teken, you mention sending X-10 commands through the AC.. What's AC?  Again I do appreciate both your feedback. 

Apologies the AC is the (Admin Console) and you need only go to the programs tab. In the *THEN* section you may select X-10 under the Action drop down list. What did you see happen when the dryer linc was installed per say?

If you performed a scene test did you observe that scene slow to react vs it not in place?!?

2 minutes ago, dpierre said:

I'll reconnect and try it again.  I registered with the INSTEON forum, but don't see how to like a post??? 

Do you mean here? At the right side is a grey heart select it to like a reply / post.

No... I thought you pointing to the INSTEON forum and LIKE the wishlist for new devicesthere, specifically a PLM pro.  But I see you where talking about this forum.  Looks like a great idea along with other users recommendations.  Thanks

Archived