Question on how to manage multiple garage sensors?

SteveKlos

1 hour ago, larryllix said:

Thanks! That doesn't look easy to interface to a GDO and I can't see any pricing.  Actually, my original drive was having a side opening back door on a RAV4 and the garage door coming down on the edge would have demolished that door. It becomes very protruding when they open sideways. Other than that, completely useless format.

I raised my GDO beams up to the level of the lower tip of the vehicle door in an attempt to avoid that accident. I realised it helped endanger the very child problem we have been discussing. However I live in the rural and have no small children in the area. Worst is coyotes, skunks, and cats, but I would be proud to squish one of them. :)

You can also just rig up more normal beams.  Most openers have multiple safety inputs for precisely that reason, and if not, you can get an expansion bus pretty easily.  Or, if your GDO handles NC, just run them in series.

2 hours ago, apostolakisl said:

seems like you could set up some mirrors at various angles and reflect the beam back and forth up the track.  Challenge would be keeping them from getting out of whack.  

Cool idea!

My needs have changed on this. I got a new vehicle that the door opens awning style, and I don't control my GDOs.

Some people in this neighbourhood never close their GDOs, and if somebody came into the neighbourhood, neighbours would have a complete description, so it isn't much of a problem. Small rural cluster culture. :)

My understanding of recent GDO photo sensors in the US is that they had some type of signal on them, not just a voltage. Does anyone know if that is or isn’t true? I believe I read it somewhere and know that when idiots try to avoid using them they often stick them eye to eye right above the opener. They can’t just wire them closed or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, TrojanHorse said:

My understanding of recent GDO photo sensors in the US is that they had some type of signal on them, not just a voltage.

Might be brand specific too....  as in some brands may be specific, others may use a simple voltage.

Two reasons I can see for a manufacturer to do this. 1) more specific error codes.  2) ball and chain: you can't replace it with a 3rd party product, you're stuck with OEM.

It's kludgy, but it works...

My goodnight program just calls other programs if I need an if to understand the sensor.  Based on comments here, I include a delay - good though just to make sure there's no contention and, it's really not like I need it down immediately!

Where I live, if someone leaves a pram in the gate area, or under the garage, that would be considered child abandonment, so yeah - really not an issue.  If I damage my car - my bad - I'll cope.  Having a good night program that will close the gate only if it's open and the same with the garage (with some time delays included) - priceless!  This is what home automation is about!  Would I like to say a fox didn't just run into the garage (older home, garage door didn't have sensors and I'm not adding them) sure as I wouldn't want to be going into the garage with a fox (or even a bear), but I'm willing to risk the fact that if the garage door is closing, the animal will make the right decision!

Now, I need to move the ISY portal from one house to another (we're doing our shelter in place in a place that's more sheltered :-)) and I can simply tell Google to do the work - this is not quite The Jetson's, but it's certainly getting closer (the Roomba doesn't talk back, so I can tell we're not quite there yet :-)) .

Thanks for everyone's comments - really appreciated!

Cheers,

SK

Archived