how to copy program folders from one ISY to different ISY

ES1400

Question on copying ISY folders

I'm running two different ISY's  and want to copy a sub program folder from one ISY and ADD (insert in to) it to the second ISY program folder.

I do not want to restore the second ISY, just add the folder from the first ISY to the second ISY.

Is a requirement that both ISYs be the exact revision?

Any thoughts on how to??

48 minutes ago, ES1400 said:

Question on copying ISY folders

I'm running two different ISY's  and want to copy a sub program folder from one ISY and ADD (insert in to) it to the second ISY program folder.

I do not want to restore the second ISY, just add the folder from the first ISY to the second ISY.

Is a requirement that both ISYs be the exact revision?

Any thoughts on how to??

You have four options to accomplish this goal and comes down to preference:

1. Manual: Manually replicate the program while viewing and editing on two computer systems.

2. Export: Right mouse click and select export

3. Clipboard: Right mouse click and export to clipboard

4. Clipboard: Right mouse click and copy to clipboard

Taken,

Yes I tried the export and import tools and export (folder) and import tools. Export to a file appears to generate the file but I can not import the file in the second ISY. Otherwise none of the tools you talked about worked.

Whats why I was asking if the two ISYs need to be on the same revision or version. The last thing I want to do is regenerate all that code, connecting all the variables and such is enough work as it is...

Taken

You referred to using two computers to perform the transfer, I'm switching back and forth using one computer to generate the exported file and then importing it to the second ISY. should work. right?

Taken, Yes I tried the export and import tools and export (folder) and import tools. Export to a file appears to generate the file but I can not import the file in the second ISY. Otherwise none of the tools you talked about worked.

Whats why I was asking if the two ISYs need to be on the same revision or version. The last thing I want to do is regenerate all that code, connecting all the variables and such is enough work as it is...

Yes, ideally both systems would be using the same firmware release. Using two computers and placing the exported file on a removable media or shared folder would be the route I would take. Clipboard: Please keep in mind all this does is copy the information into RAM. You need to paste the information to notepad for viewing.

Taken,

Let be more clear what I was doing while trying to copy existing code from one ISY to another.  On the source ISY I exported a file to my local disk and then logging off that ISY, then connecting to the second ISY and I tried to import the stored exported file from my disk to the second ISY. Appeared to work but failed to produce the folder I exported.  I suspect the difference in versions may be the root of the problem.

Always glad to hear from you....

9 minutes ago, ES1400 said:

Taken,

Let be more clear what I was doing while trying to copy existing code from one ISY to another.  On the source ISY I exported a file to my local disk and then logging off that ISY, then connecting to the second ISY and I tried to import the stored exported file from my disk to the second ISY. Appeared to work but failed to produce the folder I exported.  I suspect the difference in versions may be the root of the problem.

Always glad to hear from you....

If both controllers are on the 4.XX firmware the transfer should be fine. If one of the other box's is on the 5.XX firmware that could pose an issue. I would reboot the controller that received the new folder in case it needs to be updated so it can be viewed.

Taken,

FYI,  The transfer from Version 4 to Version 5 without rebooting works as described above. However, I think rebooting is a good idea. Transferring the other way v5 to v4 doesn't work, even with rebooting.    Now it's a tossup between rewriting code for a V4 system or upgrading the v4 to V5 system and all that implies.

Have a good day

3 minutes ago, ES1400 said:

Taken,

FYI,  The transfer from Version 4 to Version 5 without rebooting works as described above. However, I think rebooting is a good idea. Transferring the other way v5 to v4 doesn't work, even with rebooting.    Now it's a tossup between rewriting code for a V4 system or upgrading the v4 to V5 system and all that implies.

Have a good day

As of this writing given the 5.XX firmware is so solid it makes little sense to leave one box on 4.XX. Going this route will save you time, hair, and stress - trust me! Lastly, my user name is Teken not Taken. ?

As I have not taken anything from you or the dog . . . ?

I have on the other hand *Bestowed powerful knowledge upon you* = Teken . . . ?

Tekken <- Is the video game character and some would infer I look very similar in likeness and animated charisma!  ?

Sorry about the user name Teken

Very busy and taking short cuts and not reading every word today, taking your advice about upgrading to v5. What version is the most stable these days? Customers don't want to hear any stories about versions...

Again, thanks for you thoughts.. Teken

ES1400

Sorry about the user name Teken

Very busy and taking short cuts and not reading every word today, taking your advice about upgrading to v5. What version is the most stable these days? Customers don't want to hear any stories about versions...

Again, thanks for you thoughts.. Teken

ES1400

I believe whatever is the last (5.XX.16) release is perfect. I was just busting your chops about the user name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, not creating the folder structure you expect might be a problem but I think there may be a larger one looming....

If ISY System-A has 4 devices referenced in the programs, Say, A, B, C, and D.

If ISY System-B has 7 devices, E, F, G, H, I J, K, then how do the copied programs reference the correct devices on the new ISY?

Will this work?

1 hour ago, gviliunas said:

Okay, not creating the folder structure you expect might be a problem but I think there may be a larger one looming....

If ISY System-B has 7 devices, E, F, G, H, I J, K, then how do the copied programs reference the correct devices on the new ISY?

Will this work?

...and if they addressed by Insteon ID, they will definitely be different. I know the nice names are only converted at human read times. ISY uses all indexed references.

Will this work?

This is a valid concern but I understood the OP simply wanted the original program structure to save time writing from scratch.

I would think any required changes to calling resources / hardware is something that would be tailored prior to deploying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived