Looking for Thermostat recommendation

srjacob

I am looking for recommendations for a Z-Wave thermostat.

My current setup is Insteon for lighting and the HVAC thermostat, an ISY-994ZW, an ELK for security and access control for a gate, 2 stand-alone DVRs for video surveillance, and a NEC SL2100 phone system with IP phones, and the house wired with CAT6 for network (with a Engenius AC access point for wifi).  I use the ELK-ISY interface, and use the ELK for relay inputs and output to the ISY.  I have used the Insteon relay I/O devices, and don't like them because they are unreliable.

We had a major power problem and the Insteon thermostat died.  It is out of warranty, and this is the second one Installed (the first one was replaced under warranty).  Knowing the reputation of these Insteon thermostats, I wanted to try a Z-Wave thermostat instead of getting another Insteon.  I am looking at Z-Wave door locks, but not ready to take the plunge just yet.  I have no other  Z-Wave devices in the system.  The ISY is located directly below where the thermostat is located.  I have a 6 wire cable going from the HVAC to the thermostat.

Anyone have any recommendations for a thermostat that will work with the ISY?  Any suggestions on using Z-Wave?

I don't want WIFI enabled stuff, because I don't want anything to go into someone's cloud.  I have a VPN server/router and can access the ISY from anywhere that has an Internet connection.  I have used Agave and the ISY dashboard with the Insteon thermostat.

On another note, I am working on a data logger and remote access device for the Elk using a Raspberry Pi.  I know about the code written in Python, but I don't like Python, especially for real-time applications.  I prefer C for the PI, and am writing this in C.  Python is a dynamic language, and lots of stuff goes on in the background, while C is static and the response is fairly dependable.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

2 hours ago, madcodger said:

I've had great results from the GoControl z-wave thermostat, but it's a very simple device. Great for heating/cooling but doesn't do humidity.

GoControl has worked well for our needs as well.

I did  a Google search on the TH9320 and it seems it is a WiFi thermostat. 

How can I use a WiFi thermostat with the ISY994ZW?  I want the ISY to work with the thermostat directly, and not go through the thermostat's cloud.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

7 minutes ago, srjacob said:

I did  a Google search on the TH9320 and it seems it is a WiFi thermostat. 

How can I use a WiFi thermostat with the ISY994ZW?  I want the ISY to work with the thermostat directly, and not go through the thermostat's cloud.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Try this. https://smile.amazon.com/Honeywell-TH6320ZW2003-Thermostat-Comfort-Control/dp/B07HFL7R44?pf_rd_r=E95RV54897XWX4GR0GW2&pf_rd_p=be25f964-4afb-442f-819e-9e628b270a7c&pd_rd_r=5bc4fd8a-9c5b-4187-973a-e549ba548c4c&pd_rd_w=EuYOj&pd_rd_wg=oYyG6&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I personally recommend you to buy Nest Learning Thermostat (3rd Generation) and Honeywell Home T9 Smart Thermostat With Sensor,

best thing is they both are programmable thermostat, you can easily control it if you are away from home, you can easily adjust the temperature according to your need, and its a best way to control on your electric bills, its a best way to reduce your energy usage, you also can easily connect them with wifi. 

1 hour ago, srjacob said:

And they are both wifi thermostats,which I didn'r want.  I don't wany all my comings and goings sent to someones cloud, especially Google's.  I just went ahead a s got two more Insteon thermostats.

For a regular T-Stat there's several options in Z-Wave and a newish company MCOHome has some newer V2 devices recently released.  If I had regular HVAC my preference would be a Venstar because they have a direct and local API for integration.  Yes they are wifi BUT they do NOT depend on a vendor's cloud for functioning.

For line-voltage aka baseboards I have StelPro Z-Wave and NuHeat Signature both work well.

If you use Polyglot, you can get a Venstar Color Touch and it has a local API that doesn't require access to the cloud service (SkyPort). It's s great thermostat and offers full control through Polyglot nodeserver developed by some really smart people ?. If you later decide cloud-based access is not a bad thing, it has a great iOS app and Alexa control available as well.

Archived