12/3 Dual Plug - Want To Buy - Where?

Teken

I have a mini project where this type of dual plug is required and haven't been able to find one that is made from 12-3 copper. All the one's I have seen or found are 16 / 18 gauge and this needs to be 12-3 to carry the maximum 1875 watts. The load will not come near the 1875 and will operate in 1500 - 1700 watts for extended periods of time. I've purposely de-rated this load to compensate for the extreme heat & cold this cable will need to endure so 12-3 cable will offer this headroom. A secondary option would be to find a plug / outlet that allows it to be stacked as seen in this picture.

I have plenty of 1/0, 3/0, 4, 6, 8-3, 10-3, 12-3 AWG cable but can't find any ends that are like these? I need at least twelve of these short plugs and don't want to spend a fortune on plug / socket ends if a pre-made cord is available. In the worst case I would settle on 14-3  type but haven't found one in this style and finding a 3 pin plug that is small in black is near impossible. ?

Please show me your Search Fu is powerful . . . ? ?

Dual Plug.PNG

Dual Plug End.PNG

1 minute ago, MrBill said:

So to be clear, your looking for a pass-though plug that also gives you a second female as pictured?   And you are not looking for the switching version of the piggyback plug like this one.

The one in your link would be perfectly fine if it was 12-2 cable vs 18-2 which can only carry 10 amps. At $24.77 each before shipping, duties, and taxes, it would just empty my wallet. ?

Just now, Teken said:

The one in your link would be perfectly fine if it was 12-2 cable vs 18-2 which can only carry 10 amps. At $24.77 each before shipping, duties, and taxes, it would just empty my wallet. ?

So you do want the switching version.  (Look at the last picture to confirm that's what you want). 

Also i just used the amazon item because I could find it quick to ask which version of piggyback you wanted, i knew it was too expensive.  straight thru or switched.

2 minutes ago, MrBill said:

So you do want the switching version.  (Look at the last picture to confirm that's what you want). 

Also i just used the amazon item because I could find it quick to ask which version of piggyback you wanted, i knew it was too expensive.  straight thru or switched.

Sorry not sure what you mean by switching version? The extension should be like the one I posted up initially and have a pass thru and a a plug on the end with ground. If it has just the wire I'm OK but don't want to go buy a black 3 wire plug that is honking huge and costs me more than the first cord with a pass thru and bare cable.

Also, just to be clear the cord must be 12-3 not 12-2 with a ground wire. Sometimes I get mixed up with Romex wiring as the ground isn't counted like for 12-2, 14-2 wire that includes the ground. Whereas the same Romex 12-3 would be a forth red wire for the traveler etc. ?

3 minutes ago, Teken said:

Sorry not sure what you mean by switching version? The extension should be like the one I posted up initially and have a pass thru and a a plug on the end with ground. If it has just the wire I'm OK but don't want to go buy a black 3 wire plug that is honking huge and costs me more than the first cord with a pass thru and bare cable.

So you don't want what's pictured you want true pass-through not switched pass-though.    I need to try to remember, my wife's store bought a box of these at one point, I don't think they were heavy duty tho but the same vendor might have....

to clarify, the switched version of a pass-through plug is shown here (This is the last picture from the amazon page that I referenced):

image.png.b545c083c0d890e8b12b10622e0d6eae.png

3 minutes ago, Teken said:

Also, just to be clear the cord must be 12-3 not 12-2 with a ground wire. Sometimes I get mixed up with Romex wiring as the ground isn't counted like for 12-2, 14-2 wire that includes the ground. Whereas the same Romex 12-3 would be a forth red wire for the traveler etc. ?

Here's how to remember... in romex its not counted because it's a bare ground....  In round cord Type SJ, SO, Etc, it's got insulation (green) therefor it is counted.

3 minutes ago, MrBill said:

So you don't want what's pictured you want true pass-through not switched pass-though.    I need to try to remember, my wife's store bought a box of these at one point, I don't think they were heavy duty tho but the same vendor might have....

to clarify, the switched version of a pass-through plug is shown here (This is the last picture from the amazon page that I referenced):

image.png.b545c083c0d890e8b12b10622e0d6eae.png

Based on the pictorial this doesn't offer a ground wire. 

4 minutes ago, Teken said:

Based on the pictorial this doesn't offer a ground wire. 

You missing the point of always hot pass-though vs switched pass-though, but never mind I know what you want now.... .  I've got my wife thinking about it, she remembers the piggyback cords, they were simple SPT1 non-gounded but if she can remember the vendor (it was probably 18 years ago) they might have bigger..... heavier duty, gounded, etc.

1 minute ago, MrBill said:

You missing the point of always hot pass-though vs switched pass-though, but never mind I know what you want now.... .  I've got my wife thinking about it, she remembers the piggyback cords, they were simple SPT1 non-gounded but if she can remember the vendor (it was probably 18 years ago) they might have bigger..... heavier duty, gounded, etc.

It's like having another uncle in America! Thanks Mr. Bill . . . ? ?

Could you use a Y or 3 way extension?  Won't work if you need the local pass-through at the male plug.
Have used expanders like these on work sites for years.
https://www.amazon.com/Electrix-EC12023PC-Outdoor-Extension-Listed/dp/B01E0MA4EU?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_15

Good suggestion but unfortunately space is at a premium and thus requiring the smallest form factor where possible.

Yesterday as I was writing about needing this cable another literally just came in the door from Amazon:

Four 12-3 lighted extension cords for another mini project.

d1214d6095825c5278f7db43304c706d.jpg

1 foot, lit, and flexible outdoor rated for extreme weather. I was a little taken aback when I saw the cable was lit on the opposite end vs the plug. But, that actually worked out better knowing there was power at the end device!

1421b0f1cfee499871e47781a3a6d17e.jpg

Even though I have lots of different cable around to make my own. Its hard to beat the price on a pre-made unit. Where I would have to find high quality 3 prong and (lit ends) which have a small form factor too.

a2d6dea851e7db643b4e1c47d206e54d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually no that never came up in my searches! Unfortunately not available, not outdoor rated, and noted by reviews. The orientation is backwards and upside down vs the advertising?!?

I’ll never understand how it is people can advertise something that is literally the polar opposite?!?

Regardless, 14-3 would be at the limit of the power going through and need that extra headroom taking into consideration the enclosed space / extreme heat the cord may be subjected to.

Appreciate the look up and will save this for another project if it ever comes back into stock! If I knew such a extension was so rare I should have started my own company and started making them!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived