ecobee strikes again

Mustang65

My wife uses the ecobee iPhone app and I use it while on the road.

I normally log on to my ecobee app on my iPhone and get right in. NOW, I have to go through "6", yes SIX screens to get to the actual sign-in page, then a pop-up says that there were to many redirects and stops cold. I contacted ecobee support and YES they are having some issues with logging in using their app on the iPhone. I have tried various things that they suggested with no luck. Still working with them to resolve the problem.

ecobee response:

I can explain a bit of what is gong on here based on what I know. To begin with, this is abnormal for sure. The app does not do this under regular conditions, but we have seen this pop up (getting redirected to the web page). ecobee made a change to Auth0 a while back for a more secure authentication process. 

The way the app works is that, upon logging in, the ecobee app opens a web browser window and points to
auth.ecobee.com. We have yet to figure out specifically why in some cases this redirect fails. When the redirect fails, it falls back to ecobee.com. We know that one thing to consider is cookies and privacy settings, as using a browser that does not allow the storage/usage of cookies will reject the redirect or sign in, which is why we had been trying that out. We're working with our login service provider auth0 to identify the issue.

My wife uses the ecobee iPhone app and I use it while on the road.
I normally log on to my ecobee app on my iPhone and get right in. NOW, I have to go through "6", yes SIX screens to get to the actual sign-in page, then a pop-up says that there were to many redirects and stops cold. I contacted ecobee support and YES they are having some issues with logging in using their app on the iPhone. I have tried various things that they suggested with no luck. Still working with them to resolve the problem.
ecobee response:
I can explain a bit of what is gong on here based on what I know. To begin with, this is abnormal for sure. The app does not do this under regular conditions, but we have seen this pop up (getting redirected to the web page). ecobee made a change to Auth0 a while back for a more secure authentication process. 

The way the app works is that, upon logging in, the ecobee app opens a web browser window and points to
auth.ecobee.com. We have yet to figure out specifically why in some cases this redirect fails. When the redirect fails, it falls back to ecobee.com. We know that one thing to consider is cookies and privacy settings, as using a browser that does not allow the storage/usage of cookies will reject the redirect or sign in, which is why we had been trying that out. We're working with our login service provider auth0 to identify the issue.
sounds like their stat update process was botched. my stats just went through an update adding some green insanity they have added.

You cannot refuse it but you can disable the whole thing. It asked me a dozen questions and turned everything off, based on my answers.

None if those new features would ever benefit me or my energy consumption (carbon fakeprint).

Sent using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Update to iPhone ecobee access

Tried everything that the support group asked me to do with no success. Still says that I have to many redirects.

So last night, I logged into ecobee using my laptop and copied the last URL for signing in and entered it into Siri. Worked fine so now I have a bookmark to use. I give up with support.

1 hour ago, Mustang65 said:

Update to iPhone ecobee access

Tried everything that the support group asked me to do with no success. Still says that I have to many redirects.

So last night, I logged into ecobee using my laptop and copied the last URL for signing in and entered it into Siri. Worked fine so now I have a bookmark to use. I give up with support.

It sounds like you are now using the real website instead of a website scraping app that can spy on you more than before.

I try to avoid having 4,387 apps on my android phone. I need a lookup app to find them already. 4,387 + 1. Many of the full browser websites just work better and offer access to more parameters, anyway. Of course there are exceptions but this new,

• finger hunt,
  • long press,
  • double tap,
  • single tap,
  • short then long tap,
  • slide from the left, right, top, bottom,
  • slide from the middle to left, right, top, or bottom,
  • two finger drag from left, right, top, bottom,
  • pinch,
  • unpinch,
  • some idiot will eventually figure it out and tell two friends,

guessing game world is just plain abuse of technology, IMHO.

Until they get the mouse that  Gates stated, "just Mickey Mouse" gets replaced properly, I will have to carry a laptop and a mouse in my back pocket. After all, It is new technology, being less than 30 years old now. (sarc)

Excuse me, while I make myself a drink with some rum and iPunch to keep my sanity.  ooooops! too late!

:):)

16 minutes ago, larryllix said:

It sounds like you are now using the real website instead of a website scraping app that can spy on you more than before.

I try to avoid having 4,387 apps on my android phone. I need a lookup app to find them already. 4,387 + 1. Many of the full browser websites just work better and offer access to more parameters, anyway. Of course there are exceptions but this new,

Excuse me, while I make myself a drink with some rum and iPunch to keep my sanity.  ooooops! too late!

:):)

On my 4th cup of coffee and it is only 1PM.

Yes, it is the real website and it works just fine. I do not want to let ecobee support know my workaround so they do not take steps to block it. I only have 3 pages of apps of which I only use half of the ones on the first page. To lazy to clean house and eliminate some of the apps.

24 minutes ago, Mustang65 said:

On my 4th cup of coffee and it is only 1PM.

Yes, it is the real website and it works just fine. I do not want to let ecobee support know my workaround so they do not take steps to block it. I only have 3 pages of apps of which I only use half of the ones on the first page. To lazy to clean house and eliminate some of the apps.

That's why you throw the phone away every 2-3 years. The batteries are not replaceable, the screen is worn out or cracked, and the screen are all full of apps that you can't remember how to operate and since they changed the avatars, don't know what they do anymore. Then the charger connector has become loose and your kids get tired of holding it tight to one side for Grandpa. It's like we need a new car because the ashtrays were full.

hmmmm.... maybe that's why they moved out and found other cell phones to hang out with? Damn induction chargers ruined my family now! :)?

• 3 weeks later...

I just returned from a road trip and on the way back I realized that I did not take my temperature "HOLD" off (set to 81 degrees). I do not use "Vacation" mode since the ending of the trips are never on the pre-set day, so hold works just fine. I had not tried the ecobee app for a few weeks and while heading back home, I hit the ecobee app (not thinking, normal function at my age) on the iPhone and it came up working. Stopped the "HOLD" and the AC kicked on. I guess ecobee figured out the issue. They did say others were encountering the same problem.

11 hours ago, Mustang65 said:

I just returned from a road trip and on the way back I realized that I did not take my temperature "HOLD" off (set to 81 degrees). I do not use "Vacation" mode since the ending of the trips are never on the pre-set day, so hold works just fine. I had not tried the ecobee app for a few weeks and while heading back home, I hit the ecobee app (not thinking, normal function at my age) on the iPhone and it came up working. Stopped the "HOLD" and the AC kicked on. I guess ecobee figured out the issue. They did say others were encountering the same problem.

I use the scheduled vacation mode and take my best guess with an early vacation mode surrender. If I come back early then I have to remote terminate it early. If I forget then it comes off by itself, hopefully early. My home takes about 24-36 hours to lose the chills from a 2 week vacation.

I run all my ISY vacation logic from my ecobee vacation status now. One thing I have learned, if you are going to take your home down to about 10C = 50F, you must run a humidifier as it warms up, or your floors and woodwork can destroy themselves. I had one pine door frame split from top to bottom, ripping the vinyl floor back about 2-3 feet. The glued and screwed floor sheeting began to squeak and snap so badly everywhere, after being perfectly quiet for 20 years. We moved out.

Being down here in Florida with the AC running a good portion of the day/night there is not much concern of damaging humidity in the house. Granted, we do have winter, but that would be considered a fall day to most people up north. I have a humidity "ALERT" set and it has yet to be activated. The humidity in the house is always between 43 and 48%. My concern is the amount of HVAC runtime in AC mode (see Excel screen print). This HVAC was installed the day before the 2005 hurricanes affected us. It started its life running off of my generator for 4 days. Take the below numbers, average them out and multiply by 15. Ouch! This is with 4-5 months at 81 degrees because we are up in the mountains.

You have to love the winter heat hours/minutes...

I should run a count as to how many times the AC/Heat kicked on and the average per day.

ecpbee summary.jpg

Yes. You don't have the drying heat season where low humidity is the damaging factor like we do up here in Canuckistan. I have seen furniture split from end to end where people get lazy and don't maintain their humidifiers. My elderly mother split a 1.25 inch thick maple table about 3/16"...but it closed up every summer again, when the humidity returned. :)

Then in the summer we size our A/C to run as close to 24 x 7 as possible so we don't have wet dripping walls from the humidity condensing.

Archived