Introducing the Insteon Thermostat add-on communications dongle

TrojanHorse

13f62c0a2032f8a766104507095ec47a.jpg

These thermostats are a joke, but it’s no joke that this is working for me LOL. I haven’t bothered to check the level 3 log details or whatever to see exactly because I just know this makes it work much better. I was having such bad comm problems that I had ISY send me a text whenever the thermostat was unresponsive and it was a lot. The comms problems also affected the responsiveness of the rest of my system. No longer...

Now of course this isn’t viable in a living room but I will say it works well for me in the garage. Perhaps worth exploring this for 2nd homes or utility room or garage areas. I previously had this dimmer module about 3 feet away in the same outlet as the new extension cord and it didn’t help. Now all I need is an extension cord to match the wall and I’m all set LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL!
I have a newer version of the 2441ZTH that confirms all ISY commands and then ignores them. An ISY  query corrects the setting to where they were last set locally.

That sounds really unfortunate. I considered going z-wave for this and other sensors but that is just terrible. Have you found a work around?

10 hours ago, TrojanHorse said:

That sounds really unfortunate. I considered going z-wave for this and other sensors but that is just terrible. Have you found a work around?

Nope.  It just sits as a temperature probe that I don't use anymore after discovering CAO Wireless Tags. Very poor probe too.  Not much I can do with it other than that. **SIGH**

• 5 months later...
Nope.  It just sits as a temperature probe that I don't use anymore after discovering CAO Wireless Tags. Very poor probe too.  Not much I can do with it other than that. **SIGH**

Old thread but perfect way for me to say THANK YOU for introducing me to these tags. I recently started with 5 of them here to start and think I need more. They work very well for my temp and humidity monitoring needs and I’m starting to explore the node server. Very neat little devices...

7 hours ago, TrojanHorse said:

Old thread but perfect way for me to say THANK YOU emoji120.png for introducing me to these tags. I recently started with 5 of them here to start and think I need more. They work very well for my temp and humidity monitoring needs and I’m starting to explore the node server. Very neat little devices...

They are little miracle devices but the battery changes get to be a PITA at times. I write the mon/yr inside the cover on each battery change. I get about 8-12 months out of each cell. The outside units can be a pita in the winter, up a ladder in the snow.

Did you know Alexa has good vocal response support for these also? Only temperature is supported so far on the skill.

.....Alexa! What is the garage wall temperature... but you get it back to the thousandths of a degree which takes some getting used to.

2 minutes ago, JLOB said:

I know I'm missing something here.   What does the dimmer module actually do?  Do you trigger it regularly despite the fact that there's nothing plugged into it?

JLOB

Provides an Insteon RF to Insteon powerline protocol conversion.

5 hours ago, larryllix said:

They are little miracle devices but the battery changes get to be a PITA at times. I write the mon/yr inside the cover on each battery change. I get about 8-12 months out of each cell. The outside units can be a pita in the winter, up a ladder in the snow.

Did you know Alexa has good vocal response support for these also? Only temperature is supported so far on the skill.

.....Alexa! What is the garage wall temperature... but you get it back to the thousandths of a degree which takes some getting used to.

Was unaware of the Alexa skill. What is its name? Thanks.

• 3 months later...
On 4/22/2021 at 5:54 AM, larryllix said:

They are little miracle devices but the battery changes get to be a PITA at times. I write the mon/yr inside the cover on each battery change. I get about 8-12 months out of each cell.

On the CAO tag app or my.wirelesstag.net web page there is a comment/description area for each tag. I put my battery change dates, brand of battery, etc. and it becomes a history log. Better than marking up the tag each time. 

On 4/22/2021 at 12:51 PM, smokegrub said:

Was unaware of the Alexa skill. What is its name? Thanks.

Geeeez. a lot late here but I never saw your question until now!

Wireless Tag (Smart Home)

It still hasn't supported humidity or other parameters.

We use it frequently and also to compare deck temperatures (protected from sun but show latent heat from deck surface and bricks) against the north side of our house.

Mailbox sensor gives some real radical temperatures with radiant heat and low winds. It is quite faithfully indicating our mailbox lid has opened lately.

Archived