system busy

lip

Have you used scene modifiers including battery operate Insteon devices? If so, ISY will constantly attempt to update those devices that cannot be updated without being in "linking mode". Since about v5.1.x this has been a bug in the concept and UDI hasn't fixed it.

As a work-around you can disable battery device writes and attempt to empty the ISY cache for each device by putting them into linking mode and attempting to write updates to each device, one at a time. The other method is to factory reset your ISY. Unfortunately, until this bug is recognised and fixed, it will likely keep happening.

7 hours ago, lip said:

I constantly have a system busy message with my isy. I'm guessing it might be a program or something from what I've read.

What should I be looking for to troubleshoot this?

Try looking at the Programs > Summary Tab.  Usually you can find runaway programs by watching that tab.  If you find one Disable it.  If you don't know what you did wrong with it go back to the details tab and right click the program name and pick Copy to Clip Board and then paste it into a message here and tell us what it's supposed to do so we can help fix it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2021 at 7:21 AM, larryllix said:

Have you used scene modifiers including battery operate Insteon devices? If so, ISY will constantly attempt to update those devices that cannot be updated without being in "linking mode". Since about v5.1.x this has been a bug in the concept and UDI hasn't fixed it.

As a work-around you can disable battery device writes and attempt to empty the ISY cache for each device by putting them into linking mode and attempting to write updates to each device, one at a time. The other method is to factory reset your ISY. Unfortunately, until this bug is recognised and fixed, it will likely keep happening.

Hi,

Thanks so much.

Actually I am using an insteon hidden door sensors and a motion sensor. I do seem to go through batteries with the insteon hidden door sensor. Is this related to the ISY trying to update the device?

I logged in tonight to check a program that seemed not to be working but I didn't have the constant updating tonight.

On 3/31/2021 at 9:28 AM, MrBill said:

Try looking at the Programs > Summary Tab.  Usually you can find runaway programs by watching that tab.  If you find one Disable it.  If you don't know what you did wrong with it go back to the details tab and right click the program name and pick Copy to Clip Board and then paste it into a message here and tell us what it's supposed to do so we can help fix it.

Thanks so much.

I did what you said but didn't find any misbehaving ones.

I'm wondering if the issue is related to one of my wireless insteon devices like larryllix suggested?

One of the issues I have is that the damn isy works so well I don't touch it for a year and forget how everything works...ughhh....

6 minutes ago, lip said:

Hi,

Thanks so much.

Actually I am using an insteon hidden door sensors and a motion sensor. I do seem to go through batteries with the insteon hidden door sensor. Is this related to the ISY trying to update the device?

I logged in tonight to check a program that seemed not to be working but I didn't have the constant updating tonight.

I really don't know about that one. Is your HDS involved in a scene that you are attempting to update from time to time?

Many (me included) use scenes to direct link MSes to lamps and then attempt to change the brightness level and/or ramp speed of the lamp, in the scene. Since about 1-2 years ago ISY tries to update the MS device with the new scene parameters. The MS doesn't, and shouldn't have to, change settings at all. and didn't in earlier ISY v5.xx versions.

Archived