Anything else to try before factory resetting a KeypadLinc?

ISY Newbie

I have a KeypadLinc dimmer switch with 8 buttons that has gone rogue.
I tried the "Restore Device" command in Admin Console, but it didn't seem to work.
Is there anything else that I should try before factory resetting the device?

What do you mean by rogue? How old is it? Does it beep and flash on and off? That kinda rogue was a failing keypadlinc that I tried restore and factory reset and it would work a couple days before doing same again. I later learned it was likely failing power supply capacitors in older versions that were prone to failure.

Not that it might help, but I had an Outdoor Insteon module that had a mind of it's own after a couple of years. Sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't. It got to where it was finally non-responsive to anything but a local button push and then that went away. So I cracked open (literally) the sealed plastic case and found the typical shoddy Insteon soldering job with flux everywhere, piles of it. Being I know this is bad and totally unacceptable from my military electronics design days, I took some denatured alcohol and scrubbed off the flux with a brush. I let it dry and then it started working just fine. I have seen this flux issue on almost every insteon device I have opened. I would have thought the industry is well aware of this issue by now and that a de-fluxing bath on the production line would be standard procedure. 

11 hours ago, ISY Newbie said:

I have a KeypadLinc dimmer switch with 8 buttons that has gone rogue.

I tried the "Restore Device" command in Admin Console, but it didn't seem to work.

Is there anything else that I should try before factory resetting the device?

As pointed out there are a lot of possibilities here.... tell us more about what is going on.

There is a method to convert 8 button to 6 button and vice versa (the faceplate also gets changed when it's done on purpose, but I've done it by accident once too)

Generally factory reset is painless.  Don't delete it from the ISY first, just pull the air gap/programming tab out, wait 30 seconds...push in AND HOLD depressed until the long beep stops.  Once it's factory reset go back to the admin console and run Restore Device.

3 hours ago, hart2hart said:

What do you mean by rogue? How old is it? Does it beep and flash on and off? That kinda rogue was a failing keypadlinc that I tried restore and factory reset and it would work a couple days before doing same again. I later learned it was likely failing power supply capacitors in older versions that were prone to failure.

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. No beeping or flashing. The keypad doesn't turn on or off the lights it's supposed to. The buttons have light behind them, so I think it has power at least.

14 minutes ago, MrBill said:

Generally factory reset is painless.  Don't delete it from the ISY first, just pull the air gap/programming tab out, wait 30 seconds...push in AND HOLD depressed until the long beep stops.  Once it's factory reset go back to the admin console and run Restore Device.

That part is where I get always confused.

Factory reset is by pulling out the tab and pushing it back and holding, right?  But you just do the Restore Device from the Admin Console?

For some reason, I was lead to believe if you factory reset a deice, you'd have to re-link the device from scratch from Admin Console.

3 minutes ago, ISY Newbie said:

For some reason, I was lead to believe if you factory reset a deice, you'd have to re-link the device from scratch from Admin Console.

If you delete it from the ISY and then factory reset, yes it will need to be re-linked as if it was a new device.  And there might be a time and place to try that method.

If on the other hand you think the switch has just memory has just become corrupt, you can leave it set up in the ISY.... Factory reset the switch, then tell then ISY to restore device which will put the links back in the switch.

Another confusion that I think comes up, is that some people don't HOLD the reset until until the long beep stops.

Archived