Detecting loss of Internet

LarryCRetired

Hope someone can help.  I have a situation where if I lose my internet connection, I need to have the ISY disable some programs. 

Is there any check I can program the ISY to make to detect the loss of its internet connection

Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts or ideas

As I recall you have Polisy, you could note that wireless tags aren't updating AND something else isn't updating or some combination and the program could perhaps assume that the internet has disconnected, but maybe that only means Polisy froze up (which doesn't often occur). 

Maybe tell us more about why or what programs need to disable and there might be a better answer? 

There's also another route you could take... it's not cheap tho, I use a Ubiquiti Edgemax router with a failover Wan... if the cable internet goes offline it switches over automatically to an LTE modem.   I don't have a backup plan for if that connection fails also, but so far it's never happened and if conditions are such that it did we might want to put our head between our knees and prepare to .........

Hope someone can help.  I have a situation where if I lose my internet connection, I need to have the ISY disable some programs. 
Is there any check I can program the ISY to make to detect the loss of its internet connection
Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts or ideas

With polyglot and the ping node server you can ping an internet site such as google.com. Works well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Bill.  I have an RPi.  I currently do something similar to detect a battery failure for a Tag. I may try this if what TroganHorse suggests does not work for me.  The programs I want to disable are associated with motion detectors because of false positives.  Without the internet I would not know that is happening

Both are great suggestions.  The only reason I did not pursue Mr Bill's solution immediately is I am trying to avoid the log entries I would have with checking my Tag values in smaller intervals.  

I will try these solutions tomorrow.

Thanks again

13 hours ago, LarryCRetired said:

Mr Bill.  I have an RPi.  I currently do something similar to detect a battery failure for a Tag. I may try this if what TroganHorse suggests does not work for me.  The programs I want to disable are associated with motion detectors because of false positives.  Without the internet I would not know that is happening

Both are great suggestions.  The only reason I did not pursue Mr Bill's solution immediately is I am trying to avoid the log entries I would have with checking my Tag values in smaller intervals.  

I will try these solutions tomorrow.

Thanks again

Before I wrote yesterday I scanned the nodeserver list.... I missed Ping (it's not one I use), that's likely exactly what you're looking for.

Mr Bill and TroganHorse.  That Node Server is exactly what want.  

I have had my internet providers internet cable laying across my backyard for the past 6 weeks just waiting for someone to trip on it and pull out the connections.  Going out of town for a few days and this solution gives some peace of mind.

Thanks again

Archived