Insteon 2448A7 + RaspberryPi + ISY994?

MrWorf

Hope I don't annoy you MrWorf but having no experience with linux I'm not sure how to implement all the instructions as written.

The changes to config.txt and cmdline.txt - I assume they are they made directly to the files on the SD card.

Once this is done, the systemctl commands. Are they entered at the command line after the Rpi has booted and I log in?

If so, do I have to re-enter them every time I reboot the Rpi. 

Correct, those files are on the SD Card, in the volume called "BOOT"

The systemctl commands need to be run on the command line, they will disable some services and will not need to be run again once done once. Don't forget that these need to be run as root, changing so you run all commands as root can be done by issuing the following command:

sudo su

This will make you root and any command you run after this point will be run as root, the same as if you prefixed all commands with sudo

Hope this helps

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to thank you for this solution, I finally put this together today and it's up and running. I've recapped two PLMs but still having reliability issues, mostly the PLM (and therefore the ISY) not seeing devices turn on externally so statuses aren't staying current for programs, etc.

So far so good, although oddly I've had several devices fail after the new setup. Two Icon relay switches, a LampLinc and a six button keypad all will not take the PLM address write. I did finally get one of the Icons going - I had already tried a bunch of things - factory reset it, restored the device, tried to manually write updates, etc. but it would always fail to take the new PLM address. I finally deleted it from ISY, factory reset the Icon, then added it back as a new device and it started working. I'll try to do something similar with the other devices (though one is in the attic - probably not NEC approved).

Like someone else on this thread, about the only X10 thing I care about that I have left is an IR receiver in my home theater, I may see if I can upgrade the ISY with that feature (I need to do something with my Z-Wave module anyway to get above 5.0.14), or find another solution for IR.

Thanks again, and hoping my network is a lot more reliable now!

Gerry

Archived