Emailing variable values stopped working

vbPhil

Firmware:    lnsteon_UD994 v.5.3.0 ( 2020-10-01 -14:39:56 )
Ul :   lnsteon_UD994 v.5.3.0 ( 2020-10-01 -14:39:56 )
Product:    ISY 994i PRO (1100), OpenADR (21010), Z-Wave (21100)
Portal Integration:   UDI (21075)

I email the values of substitution variables to myself daily and this has been working for years. Today, however, it stopped working. I get the email but where the variable values should be it is just blank in the email.

This is how it looks in the email custom notification:

iDay2 = ${var.1.6)
iDay3 = ${var.1.4)
iDay4 = ${var.1.5)

This is all I get in the email:

iDay2 = 0

I tried cycling power on the ISY but that was no help. The variables appear to working okay in programs.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this or fix it?

Thanks,   -phil

3 minutes ago, MrBill said:

what happens via rest?   /rest/vars/get/<var-type>/<var-id>

http://ISY.IP.ADDR.HERE/rest/vars/get/1/6 would be the equivalent of  iDay2 in your example.

Another thing to try is look at your email template and make sure it hasn't become corrupt somehow. 

One of my ISY's is on 5.3.0 and happily emailing me variable values at least once a day.

Thanks MrBill, you headed me in the right direction. Somehow the email was corrupted. No idea why/how that happened. I deleted the old email template and recreated a new one with a new ID and Name. Since the ID & name changed I updated the programs that were calling it.  All is working good again.

For a REST request I'm getting this.
<var type="1" id="6">
<init>0</init>
<prec>0</prec>
<val>0</val>
<ts>20210503 07:23:59</ts>
</var>
8 minutes ago, vbphil said:

Thanks MrBill, you headed me in the right direction. Somehow the email was corrupted. No idea why/how that happened. I deleted the old email template and recreated a new one with a new ID and Name. Since the ID & name changed I updated the programs that were calling it.  All is working good again.

For a REST request I'm getting this.
<var type="1" id="6">
<init>0</init>                  <----Init Value
<prec>0</prec>             <----Precision
<val>0</val>                     <----Current Value
<ts>20210503 07:23:59</ts>    <----Time Stamp
</var>

Was the value 0 at the time you did that?  See my edit to your text above.

So my next question is how old is you microSD card?   Might be time for a new one, you can use 16 or 32gb cards... look for the newer A1 rating.

2 minutes ago, MrBill said:

Was the value 0 at the time you did that?  See my edit to your text above.

So my next question is how old is you microSD card?   Might be time for a new one, you can use 16 or 32gb cards... look for the newer A1 rating.

Yes the value was 0 at the time.

Because I cycled power on the ISY my variables were re-initialized. I bumped up iDay2 just as a check and it looks to be working.

<var type="1" id="6">
<init>0</init>
<prec>0</prec>
<val>1</val>
<ts>20210503 09:06:49</ts>
</var>

My microSD card is the original since getting this ISY in 2013. I'll look into replacing it.
-phil
24 minutes ago, vbphil said:

Is the ISY compatible with the newer A2 microSD or should it be an A1 type, reference  article;  A2 Application Performance

Officially I don't know.  But the Key sentence is:

A2 performance is available only the combination of A2 supported host and A2 supported card.

which is saying it requires hardware compatibly and A2 is a much newer specification than the design of ISY hardware, so I think A1 is what's best.  I learned about watching for A1 in a Home Assistant discord chat.  The guy that talked about it claimed to be an engineer that designed SSD systems for one of the major players in the hard drive industry.   @Teken on the other hand swears by the "industrial specification".

What's the procedure for replacing the microSD card?

1. Make a current backup
  2. Power OFF ISY994i
  3. Replace microSD with new one
  4. Power ON ISY994i
  5. Restore ISY994i from latest backup
1 hour ago, vbphil said:

1. Make a current backup
  2. Power OFF ISY994i
  4. Power ON ISY994i

4.5 reload the firmware version you are using.

After when you restore the backup you can answer the question at the end of the restore "No",  I can't remember the wording, but "reset to DHCP" or something... If you answer it "yes", then you need to reset your SMTP server and timezone and maybe another config option.  either way check through your config settings after restore.

1. Make a current backup
  2. Power OFF ISY994i
  4. Power ON ISY994i
One step missing is to reload the ISY firmware image. IIRC it will be one of the only options available on the admin console the first access.

Then you can load your backup file.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

I ended up using my laptop to copy the contents of the Old to the New microSD. That worked, but I bought a 16 GB to replace a 1 GB which was quite an overkill. 

48 minutes ago, vbphil said:

I ended up using my laptop to copy the contents of the Old to the New microSD. That worked, but I bought a 16 GB to replace a 1 GB which was quite an overkill. 

When i did this a few months ago it was hard to find less than 16gb in stock.  my old (original) was 4 gb.

Archived