ISY 994i Help

austin_john

Hi - since having a power surge in my home, my ISY has been down.  I've tried workarounds with the USB PLM and the RPi+2448A7 solution, and it seems something is wrong with ISY.  No matter what I've tried, I always have the RX/TX lights solid on the ISY.  When using the DEBUG tool for Mr. Worf's RPI+2448 program, there's no activity shown on the ISY communication channel.

When connecting to the ISY Shell, the boot stalls on "Starting Network Subsystem":

ISY1.thumb.jpg.8c1874c2bc01184f3c6ce955bc885b34.jpg

Any help is appreciated!!

Hi @MrBill, thanks for showing me that trick! 

To be clear, don't believe that the issue is the RPi connection.  At first, I thought it was my serial PLM, since that's directly plugged into the wall and is a common point of failure.  But even with a new USB PLM and a new 2448A7 (this is getting expensive), the ISY shows no signs of 'network life'.  

With most of these projects, I know enough to get by and to do basic troubleshooting.  I was curious if the screenshot that I posted indicated a possible issue with the ISYs network port.

I experienced several very strange effects from this "surge", including having two ports on an 8-port switch (connected to a good surge protector) fail, having one zone on a lawn sprinkler controller stop working, and others.

What are the indications on the two LEDs on the Network Jack? If you had some network ports and devices fail. It maybe possible the ISY994is network port is damaged.

Can you get into the ISY994i to see what the Administrative Console and tests may show? Even with no PLM connected you should be able to get into it in the Safe Mode No PLM found mode.

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=ISY-99i/ISY-26_INSTEON:Troubleshooting_Flowchart

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply.  There are no indications on the two LEDs on the Network jack.

Can you get into the ISY994i to see what the Administrative Console and tests may show? Even with no PLM connected you should be able to get into it in the Safe Mode No PLM found mode.

I don't know how to do this and can't find a how-to or other post on how to do it.  If you could direct me to the instructions, it would be appreciated.  I'm currently not able to access the ISY at all over the network, btw.

I appreciate you posting the flowchart.  I have read it many times as well as dozens of posts on the forum, wiki, and anything else I can find.  I have spent many, many hours trying to fix this.

Both of the LEDs on the Network Jack should be on. If it is connected to a network and working . They may flicker when communicating on the network. If they are off. That would explain why you can't access it.

The Administrative Console Screen. Is the main screen you normally see when accessing the ISY994i. Probably the ISY Launcher thees days. It boot up. It looks for a PLM and if not found would go into the safe mode but you should still be able to access it over the network.

35 minutes ago, austin_john said:

Thanks, yes, I think I've been chasing down the wrong problem.  It seems the network port on the ISY is dead.  I've ordered a replacement and will test.  I appreciate the reply.

Did you try another Ethernet cable?

The USB PLM should be good for your polisy box if you ever move over when the time comes.

Archived