What are my options

dinostop

My current alarm system is going out of business.  Is Elk my only option for a system to integrate with ISY?  I do want to be able to have a 3rd party monitoring company to receive the alarms.  I also want it to be able to integrate door locks, smoke, and CO detectors.

• 5 weeks later...

I just installed an Elk panel and was able to find a third party monitoring company to receive the alarms. Using the ring and tip connections on the Elk, you can wire up a universal cellular communicator like the one for Telguard or Alula central station services fairly easily. One pair of wires to your 12v power terminals and the other pair to the phone connection on the panel. This is presuming you don't use a conventional telephone line for the alarm that is also used for  a voice line. If you are using the same line for your alarm panel and voice calls, you need to also wire up the other two leads to the tip and ring connections for the panel to take over the voice line when an alarm call is initiated.

Then again, there are some monitoring companies that will still work with POTS lines too.

My personal experience is that the Elk system is more of a specialty product that something that is mainstream, judging from the responses I get when I tell various services I have an Elk setup.

Archived