QOLSYS IQ2 (DSC) Integration

dinostop

I currently have AT&T Digital Life as my alarm system.  That is being sunset in a few months and I have the opportunity to move over to Brinks Home Security which uses the QOLSYS IQ2 alarm system.  They tell me it is not proprietary and runs off of the DSC system type. 

Does anyone have this system, is it compatible with ISY and the node server for DSC, can it be integrated before my contract time with Brinks is up?

I think the info you got from Brinks is wrong. the IQ 2 system is a wireless security system using proprietary hardware. I don't see anything there that suggests it would support or integrate with a wired DSC system. 

EDIT: Ah, I see. The IQ 2 system supports legacy DSC wireless sensors along with Power-G sensors. But it's not a DSC system, and thus the ISY nodeserver (and EnvisaLink) will not connect to it.

I believe the Elk is more powerful than the DSC, has a lot more functions, and has some home automation capabilities built in. My motivation for using the DSC was that it was already in the house when I bought it. It was installed by the builder with branding for a specific company (Loud Communications) and they offered the monitoring services and upgrades and such. I was able to factory reset/unlock the unit and set my own installer code, then I could set it up the way I wanted.

If I were starting from scratch, I would probably still choose DSC over Elk for the following reasons:

1. DSC is significantly cheaper than Elk. You can find a DSC 1832 board, cabinet, and power supply online for under $100. The Elk M1 Gold is a lot more expensive than that (like $500 for just the board). That said, to use it with the nodeserver, you will also need and EnvisaLink for an additional $130. I think the Elk M1 Gold comes with an ethernet port built in.

2. I like discreet devices. The DSC is specifically an alarm panel and nothing else. So I use my ISY for automation, my DSC for security, my RainMachine for irrigation, my Alexas for voice control, etc. I think the Elk system has a lot of this functionality built in. Not that you have to use it, but it would bother me for it to be there and disabled (I'm functional OCD).

As far as DSC functionality, the nodeserver exposes the individual zone states, partition states and arming commands, panel troubleshooting indicators, panic alarms, and programmable command outputs, and more - basically anything you can do from a keypad. It is primarily limited by the command codes exposed through the EnvisaLink API. The EnvisaLink offers different levels of online event generation (independent of the ISY) as well as inexpensive monitoring.

@Goose66

I have ISY controlling my home automation so that part of Elk I don’t think would help.  My system is being shut down by AT&T but the sensors are all 433 mhz so from what I can see I can use those with DSC but not Elk so definitely a cost benifits.

any idea how I would pair the existing sensors with a new DSC if that is what I get?

@Goose66

Do you have a central monitoring service with your DSC alarm system?  I have the Envisalink module installed but not sure if/who can monitor using that.  I don't want to do land line as I do not have one.  If you have central monitoring, does it work through the Envisalink or a separate communicator?  Thoughts on a cellular backup as well?

@Goose66

I have my DSC alarm coming along nicely, of course with some learning curves.

Not sure if you can help or not, however I have 2 doors and 1 window currently setup.  When I put in the door sensors they came right up in the Eyezon App on my phone, but my 2 windows have not shown up in the App.  Any thoughts on why that would be?

Archived