Automatic firmware update not working for ISY 994i/IR PRO

sgunn

Hi,

I have an ISY 994i, and it's been working fine for many years, controlling Insteon devices.  Don't pay much attention to it.  It used to occasionally take a firmware update, but I recently logged into it to update a device, and I realized it hadn't taken a firmware update in a long time.  It's on firmware 4.5.4 dated 2016-09-30.  Product ISY 99ri/IR PRO (1110) - OpenADR (21010)

In the admin console I don't see an option to automatically upgrade the firmware, though manual upgrade is there.  I of course can download and manually upgrade the firmware, but I have three questions:

1. Why did automatic firmware upgrades stop?

2. Should I have a menu option to automatically upgrade the firmware, and if so, why don't I?

2. Want to be certain that my particular version isn't so old that the new firmware is somehow incompatible

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

1 hour ago, sgunn said:

1. Why did automatic firmware upgrades stop?

As far as I know you should be receiving an upgrade offer to version 4.9.  That's the current latest and greatest in the v4 firmware lineup.  It does have fixes you likely need if you're only on 4.5.4/

1 hour ago, sgunn said:

2. Should I have a menu option to automatically upgrade the firmware, and if so, why don't I?

As far as I know.  it's been a long time since I've been on the version 4 branch. But I believe it should be showing an automatic upgrade option. 

Yes there is a version 5 which opens up a lot of new features.  In the V5 branch all updates are manual.  The current release is v5.3.4 which is label as a "test build" but it's stable and the version everyone should be using.  I typed a more detailed explanation early today. see:

1 hour ago, sgunn said:

Want to be certain that my particular version isn't so old that the new firmware is somehow incompatible

You should definitely upgrade to 4.9... reality is that it's really time to move up to V5...

Another thread you might want to read from the top to get a better sense of where the ISY ecosystem is headed:

Thanks for your reply!  A quick update.  I installed the jnlp launcher and was able to automatically update to v4.9 via the dashboard.  I'm going to hold off on the 5.x branch as it mentioned that you might lose all of your programming, and I'm not up for that at the moment.

13 hours ago, sgunn said:

Thanks for your reply!  A quick update.  I installed the jnlp launcher and was able to automatically update to v4.9 via the dashboard.  I'm going to hold off on the 5.x branch as it mentioned that you might lose all of your programming, and I'm not up for that at the moment.

You don't lose any programming. However you may have to patch some programs that don't convert exactly. Those are all marked in yellow and the lines that didn't convert are commented out, with their device numbers and operators that didn't convert, so the user can patch them back to the correct syntax.

A similar things happens to Insteon scenes as some of the devices may not have made the jump.

Archived