Motorized windows

Automated9

Why not a smart window opener?

I have been talking with someone who is interested in developing a motorized smart window opener system, I can’t seem to figure out why it hasn’t been down well enough to look good and affordable. is it a lack of interest or an engineering issue?

I have multiple clerestory  ("awning" )  windows that have motorized openers actuated by insteon micro open/close modules.   Automated by HVAC control system -- primarily to cool down the house in the evening in Summer.  Auto close on rain and smoke.    I am also aware of motorized skylights.   

For example https://www.fenestration.net/pdf_documents/Quasar-L-InstallGuide.pdf

Hard to see how you would motorize a double hung window though could have sort of a worm drive with a gear track, - but binding would be a big problem unless you drove both sides, and security could be an issue also.    I think there are motors for use on casements in inaccessible places but haven't put my finger on these.   Probably manufacturer specific but could replace the crank.  

Since the Insteon Micro Open/Close may be unavailable, it may be of interest that there are  small Shelly devices that have two relays in them that can serve the same function, activated over wifi. 

It would be a motor on both sides, strictly for horizontal or vertical sliding windows. would have sensors to stop it from closing if there is anything in the way or if someone tries to climb though the window. Adding speakers to alarm if someone tries to get though the window.

Archived