Any Ceiling Fans have zwave built in?

AnthemAVM

Since insteon is dead, and wanting to get a new ceiling fan to move more air in our bedroom. We have the z wave isy and also polisy pro. Would be interested in what options we have for control of the new fan.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I bought a Hunter Fan that is WiFi controlled and it sucks.  It uses a cloud service called SimpleConnect and Apple HomeKit. It's always losing connection which in most cases means it has to be reinitialized and that requires removing power from the fan. So, if you can't do something with z-wave think twice about a Hunter.

37 minutes ago, vbphil said:

I bought a Hunter Fan that is WiFi controlled and it sucks.  It uses a cloud service called SimpleConnect and Apple HomeKit. It's always losing connection which in most cases means it has to be reinitialized and that requires removing power from the fan. So, if you can't do something with z-wave think twice about a Hunter.

Since you’re already there, see if the HD (that’s what I have) fan remote is Bond compatible.  It makes everything local and works great.   You can get the fcc if off their remote and look it up on bond website.  Even if not there, you can teach commands to the bond.  

33 minutes ago, hart2hart said:

Since you’re already there, see if the HD (that’s what I have) fan remote is Bond compatible.  It makes everything local and works great.   You can get the fcc if off their remote and look it up on bond website.  Even if not there, you can teach commands to the bond.  

I'm not certain about this Bond compatibility of my Hunter Fan. The remote is labeled P/N:K5579-02, FCC ID:IN2TX50, ID FCC:IN2TX50, IC:3558A-TX50, Freq:434Mhz. I'm looking around on the Bond website but can't locate any list. It also appears that to learn a remote I would need the Bond Bridge. I've never heard of Bond before and it looks interesting.

It’s not in their database but I’ve got one 13 year old fan that is not hunter douglas and trained bond to control it.

Also, the 434 mhz is in their frequency range. Buy it from Amazon and if it does happen to work, you can easily return it.

Note that the Alexa skill is cloud based but Polisy Node server is fully local api as I recall.

@hart2hart Just so I've got this right. The Bond Bridge would learn the Hunter's remote control by capturing the codes sent over 434Mhz. I could then control the fan via my iPhone using the Bond App thru the Bridge. I could also control the fan with Polisy IoP by using the Bond PG3 Node Server (Isee there is one in the Store).

My Hunter Fan is the Apache Model 59226. The WiFi component is what's buggy but the Remote has always functioned, so far. So, I can see where using the Bond Bridge could be reliable over 434 MHz.

Reading the above posts, I read up about the Bond bridge. It probably (reading the posts) works well but if you already have a Zwave setup,  I prefer my solution. I have a dimmer switch for the Fan Lamp and a Fan controller switch for the fan, and no need for an alternative system to make it all work, as it is perfectly integrated in my ISY with both manual control and in ISY programs as well as UD Mobile. No need to spend more than $ 400.

@hart2hart Just so I've got this right. The Bond Bridge would learn the Hunter's remote control by capturing the codes sent over 434Mhz. I could then control the fan via my iPhone using the Bond App thru the Bridge. I could also control the fan with Polisy IoP by using the Bond PG3 Node Server (Isee there is one in the Store).
My Hunter Fan is the Apache Model 59226. The WiFi component is what's buggy but the Remote has always functioned, so far. So, I can see where using the Bond Bridge could be reliable over 434 MHz.

Correct. I took a quick look at that fan. The RF remote looks pretty standard. The SimpleConnect is their HD cloud based service to control via wifi.

Reading the above posts, I read up about the Bond bridge. It probably (reading the posts) works well but if you already have a Zwave setup,  I prefer my solution. I have a dimmer switch for the Fan Lamp and a Fan controller switch for the fan, and no need for an alternative system to make it all work, as it is perfectly integrated in my ISY with both manual control and in ISY programs as well as UD Mobile. No need to spend more than $ 400.

OP already has Polisy so bond bridge is $100 and can be used with many fans vs 2 zwave switches for each fan.

However, it’s all a matter of preference so to each his own. Fully respect your. Solution.

Just realized I was not responding to OP so it may be very costly if have to buy Polisy and Bond Bridge to use Node server but again to each his own.

@hart2hartI see where the Bond Bridge says it supports IR remotes. Being that’s line of sight does the bridge have an IR blaster built in? So that wouldn’t work house wide only for that room. 

If the fan is IR it would need line of sight so yes for that room only. You’d have to loook and see if they have any form of external blaster.

For RF it’s multiroom.

17 hours ago, asbril said:

I use one (Zwave) dimmer switch for the light and another (Zwave) fan switch for the fan.  I have 4 fans in my home and this works fine.

In my case, my bedroom fan only was wired with one switch, and we are expected to use the pull chains to adjust fan speed and light control. Therefore I don't think your way would work for me because you mention installing two separate switches. The insteon fanlinc solves this because it is installed in the fan itself which separates the outputs for light and fan. If there is a Z-Wave module that does what the fanclinc does that would work great.

14 minutes ago, brians said:

In my case, my bedroom fan only was wired with one switch, and we are expected to use the pull chains to adjust fan speed and light control. Therefore I don't think your way would work for me because you mention installing two separate switches. The insteon fanlinc solves this because it is installed in the fan itself which separates the outputs for light and fan. If there is a Z-Wave module that does what the fanclinc does that would work great.

How did the FanLinc handle fan speed? Perhaps, set pull chain for high speed and then slow it down with FanLinc. If so, did you notice any adverse noise from the fan like excessive humming? I'm very sensitive to fans humming. For some reason more than most people and it drives me nuts. I've taken back to the store more noisy fans than I can count.

3 minutes ago, vbphil said:

How did the FanLinc handle fan speed? Perhaps, set pull chain for high speed and then slow it down with FanLinc. If so, did you notice any adverse noise from the fan like excessive humming? I'm very sensitive to fans humming. For some reason more than most people and it drives me nuts. I've taken back to the store more noisy fans than I can count.

It has low, med, hi you set the fan on highest. It does hum on our fan but not sure if it is the fan's fault. Doesn't bug me.

It has low, med, hi you set the fan on highest. It does hum on our fan but not sure if it is the fan's fault. Doesn't bug me.

I don’t like the either. I have a FanLinc in one room. I’m going to pull it out and install the Hunter Douglas remote control module that came with it.

2 hours ago, brians said:

You are right. The condo came with 4 plain old fan wall switches. As it happened in 3 of the 4 switch boxes I had space to add a switch, and in the other case I was able to cut out  in the wall panel to add a box. I was lucky and  I understand that this is not always easy.

@AnthemAVM If you wind up with newer fans with DC motors in them, those ZWave fan switches (or FanLinc, for that matter) ain't going to work.

Also, there are several DC fans from Minka Aire available that has Bond controller built-in ("Smart By Bond" or "SBB"). That way you don't have to buy a Bond Bridge, but you're going to pay the difference in the price of the fan. But if that's what the wife lands on from a style standpoint - bonus!

16 hours ago, asbril said:

You are right. The condo came with 4 plain old fan wall switches. As it happened in 3 of the 4 switch boxes I had space to add a switch, and in the other case I was able to cut out  in the wall panel to add a box. I was lucky and  I understand that this is not always easy.

What is amazing about the Bond is I just powered it up, logged in, added all my fans and I was in business on their app. No wiring, no switches, nothing. It even works from one end of my house to the other.  Then I added the Bond node and the ISY was enabled, etc.  When/if I move, I can just unplug the bond and take with me.  In addition it fully supports all available fan speeds (not just 3) and reverses the fans when needed as well as controlling the lights. It is only $99 on Amazon, what is not to like? I wouldn't even consider adding any smart switch in the wall even if it was just for one fan. 

Then there are the many other RF and IR devices it supports.  And as far as I can tell, it still works without Internet, but probably not the app, but I don't ever use that anymore.  This has been one of the best "smart home" devices I have owned. 

21 minutes ago, vbphil said:

Do you have any fans that you would recommend?

2 of my fans came from Lowes and they were their Harbor Breeze models.  One old one probably came from Home Depot and it is a Hunter. These are very common brands. But even then the Bond can be programmed to work with non-listed devices as long as they are RF and IR compatible. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding ones that work. Mine were already in place before I heard of Bond. I have two other very old fans that have no remote control at all, of course they don't work with Bond, yet. (-: 

EDIT: Thinking again of your question "would I recommend them?", I assumed you meant because they work with the Bond device. But if you are asking me for a "quality" recommendation, I am pretty satisfied with all of them. I try not to buy the cheapest fan available regardless of the brand, but the Harbor Breeze models I bought were in the $150-$200 range 5 years ago and have been very good. 

Archived