VM alternative to PGC

thewebgeek

With PGC unavailable for a bit while it is rebuilt, is there a way to run the Polyglot server in a virtual machine to bridge the gap until PGC is up and running again?  I'm really conflicted about buying another piece of hardware (Polisy) that is only going to serve a temporary role. 

I was kind of in the same situation.

I finally opted to buy a Polisy, with the intention initially to just serve PolyGlot (and eventually migrate over).

But, decided to go whole hog when my 994 coincidentally started developing some issues.

Clearly this took a bit of a push, and it is a bit of work, but I'm delighted with my setup now, Polisy running IoP, the portal migrated and the UD app repointed with setup preserved. PolyGlot available through PG3, slick. Secured a couple of spare PLMs, but my first Z-Wave stuff is to arrive imminently, including the 700 dongle. Also set up my WeatherFlow Tempest at the same time.

Cool beans!

If you do make the move, be sure to first read up on the threads in the Polisy section, and read through the wiki as needed. Folks here were ready to help as well. Makes it real smooth.

* Orest

On 4/25/2022 at 1:22 PM, thewebgeek said:

With PGC unavailable for a bit while it is rebuilt, is there a way to run the Polyglot server in a virtual machine to bridge the gap until PGC is up and running again?  I'm really conflicted about buying another piece of hardware (Polisy) that is only going to serve a temporary role. 

PG2 will still run on a pi.  PG3 was designed for Polisy only. 

As for your conflict... think of Polisy as an upgrade to your ISY.   In addition to Polyglot, Polisy runs ISY (on the 994 it's firmware on the Polisy it's technically software).    To reitherate, this will retire your 994 hardware and run both polyglot and ISY on a single piece of hardware.

Archived