Low Voltage Xformer

jkraus

Michel is extremely familiar with my communication problems, but if anyone else wanted to comment it is appreciated.

Withougt going into all the details almost all of my problems have been solved with the installation of a phase/leg coupler intalled in the electical panel. The last remaining problomatic area is an outletlinc located in the same garage as the tripple outlet I installed connecting the two legs of the panel with the phase coupler and an AP plugged into each leg. This outlet is on the oposite side of the garage and the furthest Insteon device from my PLM and ISY. I give you all this to help with the debug.

The outlet link controls an low voltage Xfomer that has severl low voltage Halogen bulbs on it. The light seem to come on on the program schedule, but about 1 in 4 times the program is not capable to shut off the lights. Tonight I plugged another AP into the other socket on the outletlinc to see if that helps.

In any case I think I read about others having problems assosicated with Xfomrmers so wanted advice/opinions

One other thought, would a apliancelinc help instead of an outletlinc or is that basically the same?

Thx

Joe

Going on but not off.

Sounds like noise from the lights when on or the transformer is absorbing the signals. This is a known problem with X10, I am not sure to what extent it will effect Insteon.

Have you tried a appropriate size X10 [have not seen an Insteon one] filter between the OutletLinc and the lights transformer?

An ApplianceLinc may also show problems.

Transformers are known problem devices. Though not guaranteed to cause problems, enough do that I would be highly suspicious.

I do not believe switching to an appliancelink will help. Both communicate the same way, over the same powerlines.

Fortunately, this would be an easy theory to test. From the outlet link, unplug the transformer and plug in a simple incadescent light, such as a trouble light, or some christmas lights. Turn off. Turn on. Hopefully, you will find your communication problems solved. If so, I think you have found your culprit. If so, I would assume that the addition of a filterlink will allow you to use the halogens.

Thanks for both suggestions. Yes I have several X10 filters that I can use, so that is a good and easy suggestion.

Regarding trying an incandescent light, also good idea, but last night I tried fromthe isy admin console to turn on an off the lights several times and it always worked. Most times with 2 hops, about every 4th time with more hops but still worked, so like all intermittent problems tough to debug, but I guess I could jut unplug the transformer and try the experiment again.

Intermittent problems, in my experience, are due to a generally marginal communication environment. When communications are marginal, other devices that run occasionally (refrigerators, washers, furnaces, etc...) can push it over the edge.

I also suspect that marginal conditions are so because of the sum total of interference of other devices. By themselves, any one device may not cause a problem. Put together, however, lots of small problem contributors can add together to cause bigger problems. I suspect your system will continue to improve as you identify the litlle problems. They did for me.

Archived