ISY Scenes vs. Links Between Devices in Topology

dkaleita

I have noticed that none of the links that I've set up directly between Insteon devices (programmed at the devices themselves) are showing in my ISY topology. Am I missing some setup step as I add Insteon devices to my setup, or is this a capability that the ISY-99i (with version 2.7.0 firmware) doesn't have?

This has become a problem as I've started replacing my SwitchLinc v.35 units to solve communication problems. When I replace these using the Replace function in the v2.7.0 firmware, the iSY scenes that I've set up get transferred to the new SwitchLincs just fine, but any direct links that I've established between the old SwitchLincs and other devices (like for 3-way switch operation) are gone after the replacement.

I have noticed that none of the links that I've set up directly between Insteon devices (programmed at the devices themselves) are showing in my ISY topology.

I'm not sure why you would expect that they would. If you don't use the ISY to set up your links then it has no way of knowing about them to display in the topology.

The correct way to set up a 3-way switch, for example, is to create a scene and then add each switch to the scene as a controller. This creates the same links you were doing manually PLUS it updates the ISY database so that the topology and switch status displays correctly.

I understand also that if you manually create links after a device in linked to the ISY, there is no way for the ISY to know the links are there. However, I thought that if an insteon device had existing links (added manually) prior to linking to the ISY, one could choose the option to keep those links at the time when that device is linked to the ISY.

Did your links exist when you added the device to the ISY, or did you add them afterwards? When you linked these devices to the ISY, did you choose the option to keep the existing links?

I have no expectations one way or the other. I am simply asking a question.

These were links that were in my devices prior to purchasing my ISY-99i. Upon purchasing the ISY-99 and linking all of my devices to it, all of those links in the devices still worked, but the ISY-99i did not know about them.

It sounds like you're telling me that I should have erased all of those pre-existing links in the devices and started over when I got the ISY-99. Is that correct?

Since your links pre-existed your ISY, the only question that remains is how you added your devices. When linking, there are three options. It sounds like you may have chosen the option to link without importing the existing links. Perhaps I, too, misundertand these options.

Fortunately, this is easy to fix. First, I assume all your devices are linked to the ISY/PLM. Correct? Go ahead and create the various scenes you want in the ISY. Once done, I would use the "restore device" option (available by right-click) on each device in question. Restoring makes the device links match the ISY.

If your programming and system is relatively small at this point, you may also consider performing removing your devices from the ISY, performing a factory reset on the devices, relinking, and creating the scenes from scratch. The factory reset would remove those links, as well as any residual X-10 addresses, which can cause problems as well.

dkaleita,

As I understand it, the links you created without the ISY have no way of being "learned" by the ISY.

It is best to add your devices to the ISY with the option of remove existing links, even better is probably a factory reset on the devices, then add your devices to the ISY and then create your links via scenes.

From then on, it's a win win with your ISY. Your ISY will truly pay for itself in what it's best known for...manageing your Insteon links, on-level and ramp rates.

Archived