PG3 login requires my.isy.io authorization

brians

Hi, recently I noticed when I go to my PG3 web page it asks for authorization to external isy.io portal website.

I would expect that the only reason this would happen is if I wanted to browse the Node server store and install new Node server. For regular day to day logging in why is this needed?

image.thumb.png.818bc83aa0da850fa8984851e43d26c2.png

image.thumb.png.818bc83aa0da850fa8984851e43d26c2.png

There are more things than just the node server store that require the portal access token.  And there are future features that will require it also. Rather than putting buttons on all the various screens that require it, I decided to try incorporating it into the initial login.

44 minutes ago, bpwwer said:

There are more things than just the node server store that require the portal access token.  And there are future features that will require it also. Rather than putting buttons on all the various screens that require it, I decided to try incorporating it into the initial login.

It's too bad that portal login didn't become the front end login for PG3, that is to login to PG3 the user logs into portal.  (then the fact there is no method to reset a PG3 password wouldn't exist!)

I've thought about that.  In fact, I planning to test doing just that soon.  My concern is that there probably should be a way to access it when you don't have access to the portal.  

1 minute ago, bpwwer said:

I've thought about that.  In fact, I planning to test doing just that soon.  My concern is that there probably should be a way to access it when you don't have access to the portal.  

Yes this is was concern... not really an issue in for the majority of the time, but there should be a way to access if it is a locally run device and not rely on cloud login. Sure the services it uses rely on cloud infrastructure like polyglot store for initial polyglot purchase but after they are purchased and installed I think we should be able to login locally.

12 minutes ago, brians said:

Yes this is was concern... not really an issue in for the majority of the time, but there should be a way to access if it is a locally run device and not rely on cloud login. Sure the services it uses rely on cloud infrastructure like polyglot store for initial polyglot purchase but after they are purchased and installed I think we should be able to login locally.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. Even to start a node server we rely on information from the store.  Most of the information is cached locally so it should work without cloud access, but there are features that depend on the data in the store being up-to-date.  Node servers that make use of those features may not work without cloud access. 

I'm continually working to make sure we don't end up with a system that won't work if it doesn't have access to the cloud.

1 hour ago, bpwwer said:

I'm continually working to make sure we don't end up with a system that won't work if it doesn't have access to the cloud.

+1 for that.  I try to  minimize what needs cloud access.  I also don't particularly care for required services.  It hadn't completely gelled with me until this discussion that PG3 required so much phoning home.

Archived