Polisy and I/O Linc 2450.

PB11

Hi All

I've just realized my 2450 is no longer working since my migration from ISY994 to Polisy.

I have looked through the forum and have not been able to find any comment regarding compatibility between Polisy and I/O Linc.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks kindly

I've done a reset of both the i/0 linc and my mini remote which is the controller. No change is status.

I moved the I/O linc to the opposite wall in the same room ( 10' closer to Polisy) and it works. Reestablished controller/responder link successfully

So there is no compatibility issues with Polisy, but unsure why all of a sudden the i/o is too far from my polisy? shouldn't this communicate via the power lines?

As far as "Query" i/o. I can click on it, but where do i see the output? Is this in Event viewer?

If so, attached is a capture of output

Thanks kindly

PB

image.thumb.png.55d47eb6f76bed82bf65dbf6bba50583.png

Edited by PB11

Being that the IOLinc is a single band device, powerline only, you could have some noise on the powerline or the two legs of your powerline are not properly bridged.

The best way to resolve this is to install a dual band device within close proximity of the IOLinc  and/or eliminate the noise on your powerline

If you used the same PLM for the Polisy as you did for the ISY then the Polisy is not the issue.

• Thanks 1

You may have a power line issue.

Any new devices like a cell phone charger or any other electronic devices? Some are known signal suckers or power line noise makers? Unplugging a device and seeing if things chance is one test. A deteriorating presently installed device could also be a factor.

• Thanks 1

Hello All.

Thanks for the feedback. Thought I would share what I found based on the info shared.

I don't recall ever hearing about distance limitations on the insteon hardware, or how close insteon devices need to be in the house.

I say this because I initially went down the path of reinstalling 3 insteon outlets I had removed earlier from the neighboring room to where my I/O was and was no longer working. I thought maybe I had broken the communication chain.

After reinstalling these there was no change. The I/O would not respond to my mini remote, admin console commands, or Alexa commands,  though the LED lightly flashed when command was sent to it, it just never turned on.

@Techman mentioned that the I/O was a single band device (which i never knew) and that line noise could be an issue, this started me looking at what could be causing the interferance.

In this non insteon outlet I had my I/O link and a power bar supplying my TV, Mac Mini, and sonos system.

Sure enough, once i unplugged the power bar, the i/o worked perfectly.

Can anyone explain what is happening? Is it just the power being drawn by my media system which is causing the "line noise". Is there a way to clean this up? Is this EMI?

Thanks for the help. Its much appreciated.

PB

The power supplies from your numerous devices created noise on the powerline. It's not an uncommon occurrence.

The best workaround is to use a powerline noise filter between the powerbar and the outlet.

Insteon use to make one called the Filterlinc which is currently unavailable. 
X10pro makes one that should work @ x10pro.com

• Thanks 1

If the power bar had a surge and noise suppressor in it. The bar can also absorb power line signals as noise. I had one with a capacitor across the line and it killed the signals.

Watch your power needs. The X10 XPPF is only a 5 amp filter or the XPF 20 amp one is quite large. The Smarthome FilterLinc was  10 amps but hard to find these days.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Many devices with noise/surge supression will kill off powerline X10 and Insteon signals. 
One solution I've found is to take a 14 gauge 3-wire extension cord about 6 feet long (the flat ones used for window air conditioners or appliances are good), and coil it into a coil with about a 6 to 8 inch (15-20 CM) diameter, using cable ties to secure it.  The coil acts as a choke to isolate the powerline control signal from the filter in the surge/noise supressor, and then nearby X10/Insteon devices will again work. 

Note: powerline control devices (neither X10, Insteon nor anything else) will not work correctly when plugged into the output side of any power conditioning device (surge protector, UPS, etc.) that filters the power line noise.

Edited by Craigb
  • Thanks 1