TV Off/Restart Program Help Needed

KHouse

I'm running an ISY-994i and Insteon.

We've got a TV in the basement that the kids watch, however, they like to leave it on when they come upstairs.  Rather, when my wife comes upstairs she forgets to turn the TV for them as they're too young.

To solve this problem, I tried to plug the TV into an Insteon On/Off plug module, and have that "OFF" command connected to a program and a 6-button keypad at the top of the stairs.  The program is such that when you press OFF on the keypad, the basement lights turn off AND the on/off module that the TV is plugged into turns off,  it waits 5 seconds, and turns power back on to the module.  I expected this to turn the TV off and when the module "turns on" again the TV would still be off until you turned it on again with the remote (similar to when the power goes out...cut the power, and the TV goes off, then you need to turn the TV on again with the remote as it wont automatically come on when the power comes back on).

However, when the module "turns on" again after 5 seconds...the TV is coming back on again.

Thoughts on if I need a different program to make this work?  Or just extend the time delay before it turns back on again?  I'm thinking maybe there's a capacitor in the TV holding power for a bit and that's why it comes back on?  Appreciate any help.

2 minutes ago, KHouse said:

I'm running an ISY-994i and Insteon.

We've got a TV in the basement that the kids watch, however, they like to leave it on when they come upstairs.  Rather, when my wife comes upstairs she forgets to turn the TV for them as they're too young.

To solve this problem, I tried to plug the TV into an Insteon On/Off plug module, and have that "OFF" command connected to a program and a 6-button keypad at the top of the stairs.  The program is such that when you press OFF on the keypad, the basement lights turn off AND the on/off module that the TV is plugged into turns off,  it waits 5 seconds, and turns power back on to the module.  I expected this to turn the TV off and when the module "turns on" again the TV would still be off until you turned it on again with the remote (similar to when the power goes out...cut the power, and the TV goes off, then you need to turn the TV on again with the remote as it wont automatically come on when the power comes back on).

However, when the module "turns on" again after 5 seconds...the TV is coming back on again.

Thoughts on if I need a different program to make this work?  Or just extend the time delay before it turns back on again?  I'm thinking maybe there's a capacitor in the TV holding power for a bit and that's why it comes back on?  Appreciate any help.

Some TV's turn back on after power is cut and restored and some don't. You can try extending the time the TV is off and that might let the capacitors discharge and change the outcome.

Archived