Logic for a few Insteon 6-Button Switch Programs Help Needed

KHouse

I'm back, looking to see if someone could help me with a program or the logic behind what I'm looking to do.  I'm lost.

I've got an Insteon 6-button keybad at the top of my basement stairs.

The ON controls the basement ceiling lights.

The 4 smaller buttons control other lights in the basement (laundry room, gym, hall, and NIGHT).

I'd like to do 2 things.

First, I'd like the OFF button to turn off all of the basement lights.  I have this done with a program.  However, all of the LED's that backlight the small buttons remain lit up even though those lights are off.  How do I get the small button back lights to turn off also when the OFF button is pressed and those lights get turned off via the program I have for that?

Second, the small button I have labeled as NIGHT needs to still be programmed.  Thought process is the same as everyone I think.  When you press the NIGHT button, all of the lights in the house that are supposed to turn off are turned off, and the lights that should be on all night get turn on (if they aren't already).  I think that's easy enough with a program...but then this button back light will be lit up all of the time (all day and all night), as there's nothing to turn the backlight off at any time.  Is this supposed to be done with a scene?

I have no experience with scenes as I've never used them before, so not sure what I need to do to get both of these things done on the keypad.

I appreciate any help that anyone could provide!

22 minutes ago, KHouse said:

However, all of the LED's that backlight the small buttons remain lit up even though those lights are off.  How do I get the small button back lights to turn off also when the OFF button is pressed and those lights get turned off via the program I have for that?

Turn off the Scene that links those buttons to another device instead of turning off the device.

23 minutes ago, KHouse said:

Second, the small button I have labeled as NIGHT needs to still be programmed.

Change the NIGHT button to Non-Toggle OFF. 

Then the If of your program should be "If Night Button is switched off"  (Use the Control Menu to get "is switched off")

then in the Then of the program, turn things off or on as needed, using scenes if the device is in a scene, only use the device directly if the device isn't in a scene.

@MrBill Thanks for your input.  I understand the first part (turn scene off instead of device).  Will look up setting up a scene and doing that.

Regarding the second part (NIGHT button), I'm a little confused still.  What would you recommend is the trigger for "if NIGHT button is switched off"?    That is, it's turn pressed/turn on when going to bed.  It'll turn on the backlight when pressed, and stay illuminated

Otherwise the next day/night you go to press it again when going to bed, and it's still illuminated.

13 hours ago, KHouse said:

Regarding the second part (NIGHT button), I'm a little confused still.  What would you recommend is the trigger for "if NIGHT button is switched off"?    That is, it's turn pressed/turn on when going to bed.  It'll turn on the backlight when pressed, and stay illuminated

What my suggestion actually does is change the button to NON-TOGGLE and in the second half of that set up you configure it to send OFF only.

Select the switch in the tree and press this button: image.png.1e4eb65e8fff0f4c034ce40b435d751f.png

Select the individual switch in the dialog: image.png.277a693c334ca4e2f2d5cf006468b50b.png

Change it to NON-Toggle by pressing "Toggle on/off" and then you will see another dialog box that has On and Off choices... Choose OFF.  (Choose off because we don't want the light behind the button On)

Now write a program that looks like this:

Goodnight - [ID 0036][Parent 0096]If
        'MBR Ceiling Fan+# / Goodnight' is switched Off

Then
        Run Program 'dc00._trigger.0' (Then Path)
        Resource 'Hue Living Room Art Off'
        Set 'Foyer Overhead (Fish)' Off
        Set 'Glass Shelves' Off
             {redacted about 30 lines}

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Had we set it to Non-Toggle ON (instead of Non-Toggle OFF) the back-light for the button would be always on.

13 hours ago, KHouse said:

I understand the first part (turn scene off instead of device).  Will look up setting up a scene and doing that.

If you had the buttons connected to the switch with scene's, it's just a matter of going to the bottom of the list and picking the scene instead.  Same list in the admin console, but scenes are at the bottom:

image.png.40779726d76fc924023dfa81395ea161.png

(note the ICON to the LEFT of the word Foyer, that means scene.

Archived