Leak sensors missing heartbeats

How recently?  It may take 24 hours or so, for programs to work correctly. 

In general the device sends a heartbeat every 24 hours, one problem is there's more than one way to monitor for heartbeat and trigger reports when missing.  

How recently?  It may take 24 hours or so, for programs to work correctly. 
In general the device sends a heartbeat every 24 hours, one problem is there's more than one way to monitor for heartbeat and trigger reports when missing.  

Exactly, it’ll take a day or two to get back in sync.

12 hours ago, Michaelv said:

It’s been more than three weeks. They will however detect a leak if I j7mp the contact points. 

1 hour ago, Michaelv said:

image.png

Given those two posts, I'd try new batteries.  Although it's not documented well it appears that heartbeats stop being sent when the battery falls below a prescribed level however before the battery is too dead to send actual Leak Alarms or open closes.   ( I have about 20 various battery sensors and have deduced this over the past 6 years... when the heartbeats stop or start frequently missing the sensor will still work but the battery is at end of life).

The program used here does not need a manual restart to restart the heartbeats, they should catch back up by themselves in 24-48 hours.

A little more complex but I have had a few LDs that skip sending their heratbeats successfully every year or two so I loop back and test for heartbeat again sending a notification that it will be rechecked and it does not necessarily mean a dead battery. The human has to decide if the notification repeats every day or two.

Leak.HVAC.OK - [ID 0131][Parent 00CD]

If
        'HVAC Room / HVAC.LD.dry / HVAC.LD.heartbeat' is switched On
     Or 'HVAC Room / HVAC.LD.dry / HVAC.LD.heartbeat' is switched Off
Then
        $sLeak.HVAC Init To $cLEAK.DRY
        $sLeak.HVAC  = $cLEAK.DRY
        Wait  25 hours
        Run Program 'Leak.HVAC.OK' (Else Path)
Else
        $sLeak.LowBatt.room Init To $cROOM.HVAC    <--- "$c" = constant variable with permanent value set
        $sLeak.LowBatt.room  = $cROOM.HVAC   <---another common program detects the leak from this variable and sends the notification including a room number table,
        $sLeak.HVAC Init To $cLEAK.LOWBATT
        $sLeak.HVAC  = $cLEAK.LOWBATT
        Wait  23 hours
        Run Program 'Leak.HVAC.OK' (Then Path)     <--- run self again for second chance

Heartbeat change cancels wait timer and restarts.

Edited by larryllix

1 hour ago, larryllix said:

it does not necessarily mean a dead battery.

He's apparently had the no heartbeat issue for 3 weeks.

19 hours ago, Michaelv said:

It’s been more than three weeks. They will however detect a leak if I j7mp the contact points. 

5 hours ago, MrBill said:

He's apparently had the no heartbeat issue for 3 weeks.

This just sounds like some links got dropped between the PLM and LDs.  A simple restore and/or complete reinstallation may be in order.

One other thing, try doing a dummy edit on your programs and save them again. Sometimes internal links get messed up in ISY. Program names appear good but the actual numeric links they represent get disjointed when you mess with hardware, sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, Still having an issue. I have changed the batteries, tried restoring the modem again with the Leak sensors in programming mode, wrote updates to the devices and I am still getting missing heart beats. I can trip the sensor and get notification that there is a leak on all six of the sensors so the ISY knows they are there. Why aren't these heartbeats being detected.?

I am getting 6 emails twice a day saying missed a heart beat?

Please help?

44 minutes ago, Michaelv said:

Ok, Still having an issue. I have changed the batteries, tried restoring the modem again with the Leak sensors in programming mode, wrote updates to the devices and I am still getting missing heart beats. I can trip the sensor and get notification that there is a leak on all six of the sensors so the ISY knows they are there. Why aren't these heartbeats being detected.?

I am getting 6 emails twice a day saying missed a heart beat?

Please help?

Hi @Michaelv

Lets try an experiment to see if your other programs don't know what they are talking about, perhaps they got broken somehow.

Leave the others alone for now and make 3 new programs.

If

Leak sensor #1 heartbeat is switched on

or  Leak sensor #1 heartbeat is switched off

then

Send Notififcation to 'Micael' content 'heartbeat#1 message'

of course you'll need to go to notifications and set up some messages first.

it's possbile that the heartbeats from the sensors are actually working, but the programs monitoring them aren't working correctly.  This is a simple test to notify you when actual heartbeats are received.  these are just test programs, after you run these for a day or two we'll know whether we need to keep troubleshooting the sensors themselves or if we should move to troubleshooting your programs. 

Edited by MrBill

Like this?

Test pgm 3 - [ID 0106][Parent 0026]

If
        'Leak Sensors / Heartbeat / Basement Well Tank-Heartbeat' Status is On
     Or 'Leak Sensors / Heartbeat / Basement Well Tank-Heartbeat' Status is Off

Then
        Send Notification to 'Michael Vesprini from ISY' content ' Leak Sensor Heartbeat Leak Repaired'

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

I copied this program twice and used different leak sensors.

Then what?

10 minutes ago, Michaelv said:

'Leak Sensors / Heartbeat / Basement Well Tank-Heartbeat' Status is On
     Or 'Leak Sensors / Heartbeat / Basement Well Tank-Heartbeat' Status is Off

change these to "Control" instead of "Status" in the drop-down.  It will then read:

'Leak Sensors / Heartbeat / Basement Well Tank-Heartbeat' is switched On
     Or 'Leak Sensors / Heartbeat / Basement Well Tank-Heartbeat' is switched Off

and re-save.

12 minutes ago, Michaelv said:

Then what?

Wait 24 hours (or a little longer) and see if you get notifications from the heartbeats.   Instead of monitioring for missing heartbeats, these 3 programs are sending you notifications of every heartbeat received as they are received. 

If you get heartbeats from these programs, then we have to figure out why your other programs aren't working correctly.

if these 3 programs never detect a heartbeat then we need to keep trying to figure out why the hardware isn't sending them.

You can test fire the notifications by right clicking the program name and selecting "Run then"

So this morning, I got this notification via email:

A leak sensor missed heartbeat has been repaired"

Leak Status

North Furnace 3rd Flr: Off

Basement Turret: Off

Basement Bathroom: Off

Basement Well Tank: Off

Basement Office: Off

South Furnace 3rd Flr: Off

Heartbeat Status

North Furnace 3rd Flr: 1

Basement Turret: 1

Basement Bathroom: 1

Basement Well Tank: 1

Basement Office: 1

South Furnace 3rd Flr: 1

---Leak Status Key---

Off = No Leak detected (normal status)

On = Leak detected

No Status = ISY has recently rebooted. Manualy reset sensor or wait for heartbeat

---Heartbeat Status Key---

1 = Heartbeat detected (normal status)

0 = Heartbeat missed (check battery/communications)

What does this tell us?

MV

Heartbeat Status

North Furnace 3rd Flr: 1

Basement Turret: 1

Basement Bathroom: 1

Basement Well Tank: 1

Basement Office: 1

South Furnace 3rd Flr: 1

---Heartbeat Status Key---

1 = Heartbeat detected (normal status)

0 = Heartbeat missed (check battery/communications)

3 hours ago, Michaelv said:

What does this tell us?

I redacted the report.  is this what the report says everyday?  because those seem to be perfectly normal heartbeats.

It appears from this something is wrong with the reporting programs.

Did you receive any heartbeat notifications from the test programs?  (i assume you made the change above to "control" as opposed to "status", and tested the notification by right clicking the program name and selecting "run then".)

@Michaelv

I'm really pretty confused at this point.  Did you get notifications of individual heartbeats received from the extra programs we set up?

I see the 7/25 email has the subject "test prgrm 3" which sounds like it might be the program you created to monitor the heartbeats, but attached to the template for another program.

I just looked back thru the leak sensor programs from our Jun10th PM conversation, unfortunately heartbeat is not really included there.  I suspect again this is a programming problem.  

do this... check the Programs > Summary tab for the 3  heartbeat test programs I had you create:

image.thumb.png.5e8175b9f7ee41b3b3672fa03416946c.png

do they show True or False in the status column?  So they have a last Run time that isn't a time that you would have manually "run then" to test like i mentioned.  If they should times you weren't testing then those are actual heartbeats.  If that the case we need to fix the programs, which will likely mean you need to paste all of them, so we can sift thru and look for the issue.

I did receive the same "heartbeat" repaired from all 3 of the test  programs we set up.

All programs show "True" on the summary tab.

I only did the "then run" on one of the test programs so, they seem to be doing their job.  

all the heartbeat programs are identical so if one wrong, there all the same. It just funny that this happened when I did a model restore. These programs have been working for years and all of a sudden, they all stopped working. Here is the heatbeat missed program of one of the sensors.

Basement Bathroom-Heartbeat Missed - [ID 00E8][Parent 00DD]

If
        'Leak Sensors / Heartbeat / Basement Bathroom-Heartbeat' is switched On
     Or 'Leak Sensors / Heartbeat / Basement Bathroom-Heartbeat' is switched Off

Then
        $sLeakBasementBathroomHB  = 1
        $sLeakBasementBathroomHB Init To $sLeakBasementBathroomHB
        Wait  25 hours 
        $sLeakBasementBathroomHB  = 0
        $sLeakBasementBathroomHB Init To $sLeakBasementBathroomHB
        Send Notification to 'Michael Vesprini from ISY' content ' Leak Sensor Heartbeat Alert - Level 1'
        Wait  12 hours 
        Repeat Every  12 hours 
           Send Notification to 'Michael Vesprini from ISY' content ' Leak Sensor Heartbeat Alert - Level 2'

Else

Hear is the heartbeat repaired program.

Basement Bathroom-Heartbeat Repaired - [ID 00E9][Parent 00DD]

If
        $sLeakBasementBathroomHB is 1
    And $iStartup is 1

Then
        Send Notification to 'Michael Vesprini from ISY' content ' Leak Sensor Heartbeat Leak Repaired'

Else

Do you need to see anything else?