Problems linking a new device (TriggerLinc)

wwat

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on what may have happened when attempting to link a new TriggerLinc.

First off my wireless communication is quite stable now with 4 AP's and a SignalLinc in medium sizes home of about 2.5k sq/ft, 2 levels in a boxy configuration.

Put TL into link mode and in direct site of an AP, tried to link using the 1st option (remove existing links) but constantly received the following error:

[-110012] Couldn't open config file to read[/conf/f490c.rec]

[-200000] Failed writing device link[testtrigger-opened]

I then tried the 3rd option and all hell broke loose. I've never tried that option before, it seemed to take forever going through many links but it still didn't work. After this option appeared to complete I started getting weird issues. I shut down ISY Admin, cleared Java cache and re-opened and still had problems with many devices, ISY reported errors saying it could not read their files. May of the device links were missing from the ISY table. I had to remove all the affected devices, set them back to factory default and re-link them, fix all the programs that no longer worked etc etc.

All this happened just to add a TriggerLinc.

What can cause this type of problem? my initial thoughts are Anti-virus or firewall programs. If so what is the best practice regarding shutting them down and under what circumstances should they be closed.

I finally got everything working again including the TriggerLinc (using option 1) but I want to avoid this mess in future. There is no way I would ever chose option 3 again unless I could be sure it would not cause the same problem. Is it suppose to take a long time to run just to add a single TL.

Could this be a Alpha 2.7.10 issue.

Thanks,

Hi wwat,

2.7.10, for me anyway, has been extremely stable with the exception of adding rf devices. The work around has been to factory reset the rf device (unless you want the links from it added) then Link Management > New INSTEON Device then adding a name, address and selecting [10.02] (2421) TriggerLinc and selecting option 3 Add devices found in links and keep existing links.

I have added a couple of ms in version 2.7.10 and haven’t had the problem you described though. It did seem to take a little longer than usual when linking but once complete everything was fine. I am surprised you were able to get it to link using option 1. I tried quite a few times using that option and never had any luck.

I know I have had some weird things occur once in a while after linking or restoring a device. Things like some kpl buttons not working correctly (or at all) or devices turning on or off when they shouldn’t. It was suggested to me to remove AP’s to prevent rf traffic on the power line (unless linking an rf device of course) and to disable programs from running which could turn devices on and off and be sure no devices are operated while in linking mode. Once I started removing AP’s, suspending programs and , in my case making sure no one else is at home, all of my weird anomalies disappeared (knock on wood). During linking of an rf device I will usually disconnect all but one AP or Dual Band device.

I don’t know if one of these things caused your trouble or not but I thought it was worth bringing up.

Did you happen to factory reset the triggerlinc before linking?

As far as the antivirus and firewall, I don’t believe its an issue unless you are restoring a back up or upgrading firmware.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Didn't restore any backups, haven't had to do that for a while now.

Also, unfortnately I didn't perform a backup prior to attempting to link the TriggerLinc and I wished I had after that experience.

One other thing I noticed after selecting option 3, was that everytime the 'Initializing System' progress bar displayed, it show the following message at the bottom of the dialogue box:

[xx xx xx x] Failed getting engine version. Reverting to i1.

I have got into the habit of backing up before adding any devices or changing any programs or scenes, learned the hard way.

As far as the i1 message, Michel will have to answer that one, and hopefully he will be able to offer some suggestions as to the root cause of what happened after adding your triggerlinc.

Tim

Archived