Different lighting paradigms out there

ryarber

58 minutes ago, ryarber said:

Can someone with experience in all these give an synopsis of some of the different paradigms out there? Like Lytton caseta and Radio RA3, z-wave 700 and 800, Insteon, and zigbee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You'll have to be more specific as that's too generalized of a question. Google is probably your best friend for this though.

I can say Ra3 isn't supported by the Isy so that's a nonstarter of that's where you're trying to go. 800 series devices do not exist at this time and probably won't for some time so ditto for that. If you use hue, that'll tell you about zigbee

Caseta: Switches cannot control other switches. They can be controlled from a Pico remote but most folks need control at the location of a load bearing switch so no go. Not recommmended.

RA3: Not supported by ISY so not recommended.

Z-Wave: Does not support smooth synchronized operation of groups of switches, bulbs, or anything. Not recommended.

Zigbee: Requires Zigbee 3.0 for synchronized operation of groups. No high end Zigbee switches availble with 3.0 yet. Future option?

Thread: Only used in Apple Homekit products at this time. Future uncertain.

Matter: No firm release date, no detailed feature set. Future uncertain.

Broadlink Fastcon BLE: No standard form factor switches yet. Future Option?

HUE: No load bearing switches, only bulbs. Limited applications.

LoRa: Dimmers not yet released. No local API yet. Future option?

Insteon: Company in recovery with no new products available yet. Future uncertain.

X-10: Prone to false triggering from powerline noise. Limited applications.

UPB: Limited integration options. Future uncertain.

Control4: Not available for DIY so not recommended.

• Like 1

Thanks for the overview. I wasn’t aware of those caseta limitations. And I’m not really asking about all the “future” options. Just wanting to know the major issues with the currently available paradigms.

I don’t use hue. I’m only interested in switches. 

Edited by ryarber