Lost My Lighting icon after Windows Update

jgraziano

Uncle Bill updated my computer last night and now I no longer have the My Lighting icon.

I've tried everything, toggling the Hide/Unhide while the ISY is on and off, cycling the PLM although the ISY is executing everything perfectly, so I didn't think it was that. Windows Firewall is OFF.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Update:

I remembered that I had it set up on my laptop, so I tried it, no problem. I looked at the ip address then went back to my desktop and pinged that address, and it responded, still do not have the icon on the desktop. I then went to Explorer on my desktop machine and went to the full address manually and it logged onto the ISY. Still no icon.

Hello JG:

Another thing that you might consider is going to a fixed IP for your ISY device. This can be done through the admin shell.

Be certain that you pick an IP address that is in a range not under DHCP control, so as not to ever run into a conflict with a dynamically assigned address.

Then you can even turn off uPnP, and just access the ISY directly by typing the IP address into your browser, and saving it as a favorite.

The address will be in the form "http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:ppppp/0/p.html", where the x's represent the fixed IP address, and the p's represent the unique port number of your ISY.

Best wishes,

Hello JG:

Another thing that you might consider is going to a fixed IP for your ISY device. This can be done through the admin shell.

Be certain that you pick an IP address that is in a range not under DHCP control, so as not to ever run into a conflict with a dynamically assigned address.

Then you can even turn off uPnP, and just access the ISY directly by typing the IP address into your browser, and saving it as a favorite.

The address will be in the form "http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:ppppp/0/p.html", where the x's represent the fixed IP address, and the p's represent the unique port number of your ISY.

Best wishes,

Thanks Frank yes, that's exactly what I want to do. To me it makes more sense, and I can just put it in my favorites network folder along with my router, WAP, etc. Or I could just try all of the IP addresses in my pool, one by one. :lol:

Definitely want to put it outside the DHCP pool in case it doesn't grab an IP first. Not sure where to set it, though. Didn't see anything in the Configuration tab, unless it is the one that looks like it is a config. setting for Elk? Does have IP and Port.

MikeB I did try the hide/unhide several times!

Thanks!

Jim

Guess I will have to try mine as my XP Pro updated a few days ago also.

Well I'll tell you, that's not the only thing it got. I lost a bunch of icons from the system tray. One of them my UPS monitor icon. I can't figure out how to get it back either. The UPS works fine and shuts down the computer when I lose power, but now the only way I can get to it is from the Start menu. I'm not even sure what else was there that isn't any longer.

Best wishes,

The ISY had an IP of 160, so I just left it and narrowed my pool down to 100-150. Now I have to make the 160 static.

Looks pretty straightforward thru the shell, but I was never much of an expert at gateway, mask, dns, etc. settings. Should I just use the same settings that would be displayed for my computer when I do an ipconfig/all. In other words, the IP would be 160, but the other settings I put in the shell for the ISY would be same as those displayed on ipconfig for the computer on the same network?

Thanks.

Man, I wish I had found this thread last night when I installed my ISY! For some reason, I have no "Show icons for networked UPnP devices" so I have no My Lighting icon. I simply (ha :roll: ) worked out the direct http link method from some other threads in the forum.

To find that unique port for the ISY, I made a serial connection through the Com port to the ISY shell. In addition to that port, I also used the shell to find the MAC address of the unit. It is listed in the output of a reboot.

jgraziano, instead of assigning a static IP to your ISY outside of your DHCP pool, if you have more advanced router, you maybe able to assign what is called a "static" DHCP address to the ISY. This allows the router to assign the same IP to the designated MAC address if it is present on the network and re-use that IP for some other device if that device isn't present. I had to do this because of some network complications in which I end up with two DHCP servers and the secondary server was making the wrong IP assignment on the ISY. The static DHCP method forced the correct IP to the ISY.

I found that I couldn't simply set the ISY to a static IP if a DHCP server was present on the network. After entering all the new IPs and mask, a reboot simply erased the entered data and re-acquired the DHCP IP.

Archived