Cannot add ApplianceLink

JCase

"Cannot determine Insteon Engine" means that the PLM is unable to communicate with the device

The discontinued ApplianceLinc is a powerline only device. Either you have interference on the powerline or the two legs of your powerline are not bridged. Adding a dual band device close to the ApplianceLinc may help.

All LampLincs are dimmable, do you mean an on/off module?

Edited by Techman

5 hours ago, JCase said:

When adding LampLink V2 (non-dimmable) or ApplianceLink I get "Cannot determine Insteon Engine". I can add LampLink Dimmers

How are you trying to add the devices?

If you're manually entering device addresses, make sure you're not misreading digits (8 and B, 0 and D are often confused).

If you're trying to have have the ISY find the device, then try factory resetting the device (per the manual), then choose Start Linking on the ISY and then press and hold set button on the device for three seconds.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@JCase I had the same problem trying to add an old ApplianceLinc to eisy that was working fine on my Polisy.  The eisy is at our second home and is being setup from scratch.  Even with the ApplianceLinc on the same power strip as the PLM, side by side, the new add Insteon device command status would get to 7% and then error out with:

The following devices could not be added:  1B.7D.83

• Cannot determine Insteon Engine

I did have a small UPS on site in the same room as the PLM.  Putting the UPS on a FilterLinc allowed the ApplianceLinc to be immediately added and controlled without any problem.

• Like 3