What Geeks receive for Christmas

ELA

I received a small, inexpensive ( ~ $230) hand-held spectrum analyzer for Christmas that I though might be of some interest to other home automation people.   Something like this is likely hard to justify purchasing for occasional use but Santa was good to me this year.

I used to be a test engineer so I miss not having access to all the equipment I used to.

I am attaching a few screen shots of potential uses.

Top= Insteon RF signal at 2ft from On/Off switch module:

Bottom= Garage Door Remote:

I thought @apostolakisl  might be interested in the garage door signal.  I recall an issue with interference that this device could help identify.

Insteon combined.jpg

Garage Remote_Combined.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, ELA said:

I received a small, inexpensive ( ~ $230) hand-held spectrum analyzer for Christmas that I though might be of some interest to other home automation people.   Something like this is likely hard to justify purchasing for occasional use but Santa was good to me this year.

. . .

Or a bug detector for the more paranoid of us here.  It's not paranoia if they really are after you. Just sayin' . . .

Good to hear that you also have one Brian.    What sorts of things have you used yours for?

Mine is the ISM Combo plus:

Frequency bands:

Left connector: 0.05 – 960MHz

Right connector: 2350 – 2550MHz

here is my microwave at 10ft on high power:

microwave_combined.jpg

Mine is an earlier version. I think. As it is the plain metal case. Looks like yours has a protective covering or they changed the unit away from the bare metal case.

Left 240-960MHz, I added the Right 15-2700MHz accessory board kit. So I got a nice carrying case in the kit. Firmware 01.33

I have used mine to see things like Insteon modules RF signals. They are not all exactly 915MHz. I have see some slightly higher and lower. Same for X10.

Edited by Brian H