Bond Bridge PG3 on IoX Polisy Pro doesn't control fan lights

Chris McKean

I have 6 fans tied to a bond bridge, 5 are MinkaAire (all same model) and 1 Hunter fan.  All work properly (fans and lights) from the Bond phone app.  I was recently working to add some programs to control the fans and fan lights.  The fans work fine, but I am not able to control the lights from the IoX using the Bond Node Server on my Polisy Pro.

Four of the MinkaAire fans have three nodes on each fan (fan, up light, down light).  One MinkaAire fan has two nodes (fan, light).  All MinkaAire fans are the same model and were purchased that the same time.  The Hunter has two nodes (fan, fan light).

The fans that have three nodes default to up light (off) and down light (on).  Toggling either the up light or down light doesn't turn on the light.  The fans that have only one node for light won't turn on the light when I toggle it on in IoX.

I have deleted the bond server several times, reinstalled it, rediscovered the devices and the lights still don't work.  I am running the latest packages and bios on the Polisy Pro.  IoX version 5.5.3, PG3 version 3.1.16, and Bond Node Server 3.0.10.

Attached is a log file...

Any thoughts on how to get the fan lights to work within IoX?

Bond_1-17-2023_32253-PM.zip

Does the bond bridge show connected = true in the UDI Admin Console?

The errors in the logs are complaining about reaching this host, which seems to be the bridge?

Connection to 192.168.1.64 timed out.
2023-01-17 15:06:45,245 Thread-71  udi_interface      WARNING  bondapi:_call_api: HTTP GET in _call_api() failed: HTTPConnectionPool(host='192.168.1.64', port=80): Read timed out. (read timeout=6.05)

Are you able to poll it manually when it times out?  Firmware upgrade on the Bond hub?

Sorry, I don't have Postman nor do I know how to use it.  It appears to be a programming tool and I am not a programmer.  I did do some additional testing and the phone app controls the fans without a problem.  However, when I submit commands through IoX, it does not reliably work.  Sometimes the command works, but most of the time it does not.  I don't see the bond bridge disconnecting at any time.  However, I did see this error message attached one time when testing the connection.  

I believe the node server has worked well in the past.  At that point I was running ISY on my 994i and node servers running on Polisy.  This week, I moved off the ISY and am now running IoX on my Polisy Pro.  Don't know if that has anything to do with the bridge not working reliably or not.  

Screenshot 2023-01-17 162214.png

@Chris McKean In general, the best way to debug the Bond NS is to divide things up between the node server to the bridge, and the bridge to the device. The Bond app should show you what is going on at the bridge. So a couple of things here:

1. As to "Four of the MinkaAire fans have three nodes on each fan (fan, up light, down light).  One MinkaAire fan has two nodes (fan, light).  All MinkaAire fans are the same model...," how are these shown in the Bond app? Do they all show identically with up light and down light controls, or does the one that is different also show differently in the Bond app? If it does, then the problem is with when you added the fan to the Bond bridge, and not with the node server discovery.

2. "All work properly (fans and lights) from the Bond phone app." Like every button press (in a slow, methodical fashion) works 100% of the time, or when I press buttons in the Bond app - sometimes multiple, rapid presses - the lights eventually come on or go off. Remember that the node server sends a single on or single off. It generally has no way of knowing if the bridge was actually able to transmit successfully to the device (fan) because the bridge->device communication is one way. Also, many fans offer only a light toggle and dim and bright buttons that are designed to support a person standing in a room looking at the fan/light to evaluate its current state. In these cases, the Bond bridge (not the node server) will attempt to track the state and offers up "On" and "Off" commands to the node server to use to change it. This is called "state tracking," and it gets messed up occasionally. So "Off" and "On" commands from the node server may not work as expected if the state tracking in the Bond bridge is messed up.

3. "The fans that have three nodes default to up light (off) and down light (on)..." The node server defaults the state of all drivers to "Unknown" (or 0 if "Unknown" is not a valid state for the UOM). The node server then reads the initial state of the devices from the bridge just after discovery . You should be able to ascertain the initial state of the lights and fan speed from the Bond app before discovery. If the initial "default" states in the nodes match that of the Bond app after discovery, then the node server is working. If they don't match the states of the devices themselves, then that's a problem with state tracking in the Bond app and not the node server. There's lots of information on state tracking in the Bond app and resetting it on the interwebs, but if that turns out to be (at least a part of) your problem, I and others can help here as well.

4. "Toggling either the up light or down light doesn't turn on the light." Does it modify the light state in the Bond app? Again, to debug the node server, check what is happening to the state reflected in the Bond app. If the device itself is not reflecting this state it could be a problem with the bridge->device communication (or tracked states, as noted above).

5. In regard to the log, it appears to be truncated. I don't see attempts to turn on or off lights in the node server log, so it's hard to help there. Also, please put the logging mode to "Debug" for future log submissions. I do see the periodic connection failures others mentioned. This could be the Wi-fi connection to the bridge or the Wi-fi connection to your Polisy Pro.

Edited by Goose66

Response to your 5 points...

1.  Attached are how the nodes show in IoX and how they show in the bond phone app.  Porch fan 1 is how four of the five MinkaAire fans show in the bond phone app.  Fan bbq2 is how the other MinkaAire fan shows in the bond phone app.  So that one is different in the phone app.  The guest room fan (Hunter fan) is the last image and it is different in the phone app than any of the other fans.  Should I delete fans in the phone app and reload them to see if I can get them to be the same?

2.  I believe that the phone app works 100%.  I went to the fans and tested to make sure that they worked.

3.  The bond server nodes on the fans that have the 3 nodes don't really match what is on the bond phone app.  Should I reinstall them on the phone app and see if I can get them to match when the bond server discovers them?

4.  Sometimes, but toggling the fan light in IoX doesn't match what is on the phone app.  It doesn't appear that it is reliable response when doing the toggle in IoX, but through the phone app it is very reliable.

I will delete the fans on the bond phone app and reinstall them to see if the bond server discovers them differently.  I believe the wifi connection to the bridge is solid because the phone app works over wifi and is very reliable.  The Polisy connection is over an ethernet cable to my router, so that should be solid too. 

Screenshot 2023-01-18 085228.png

IMG_1566.PNG

IMG_1567.PNG

IMG_1568.PNG

I deleted one of the fans in the bond bridge and added it back in.  I previously installed the fan using a default configuration on the bridge.  This time I configured the fan manually and installed only the commands that I want to use.  That seems to have fixed my issue.  I'll go and delete and reinstall the other fans on the bond bridge.  Pilot error, it seems.  Thanks....

Before you do that, try setting your logging level to debug, re-perform the discovery process (without deleting or changing anything), and send me the complete log package. I can scan through it and see if I find any errors. 

Just for clarity, do the MinkAire fans have separate Up and Down lights? I don't see any controls for them in your screen prints.

2 minutes ago, Chris McKean said:

I deleted one of the fans in the bond bridge and added it back in.  I previously installed the fan using a default configuration on the bridge.  This time I configured the fan manually and installed only the commands that I want to use.  That seems to have fixed my issue.  I'll go and delete and reinstall the other fans on the bond bridge.  Pilot error, it seems.  Thanks....

Ok, if that ends up fixing things, then great. I would like to explore (at some point) the issue with the node server adding both up light and downlight nodes if the fan only has one of the lights in the Bond app, however. This particular NS is difficult because, while the API to the bridge is reliable and well defined, with the numbers and types of devices that the bridge supports (with all the varied features and commands), it is impossible to know how any one particular fan or blind is going to look or respond.

Also note, that as previously stated, there is the whole issue of the Bond bridge and state tracking in play here, and what commands exist for the fan in the setup on the Bond bridge may affect how that plays out. For example, the "porch fan 1" and "fan bbq" have light toggle commands. The Bond bridge will tell the node server that these fans have ToggleLight capability as well as TurnOnLight and TurnOffLight capability, with the node server choosing to use the latter. The Bond bridge tracks the state of the light and interprets On and Off commands from the IoX/node server accordingly. But if you are also using your fan's remote, for example, to control the light, the state will get out of sync in the Bond bridge and then it will not work as expected. That's why I say user the Bond app and the reflected states there to debug the node server, not the fan itself.

On the other hand the "guest room fan" only has a "light on" command. So I don't know what the Bond bridge is going to tell the node server about it. It may say it just has  TurnOnLight capability, or it may indicate it has both TurnOnLight and TurnOffLight capability. Either way, the node server is going to assume it can turn on and turn off the light. If IoX/node server sends an Off command (DOF or DFOF), then who knows what the light will do? Is the Bond bridge smart enough to know how to turn off the light? There is no "light off" command shown in the UI of the app, so we don't know.

These are the kinds of things that would (hopefully) show up in the log file taken during discovery with the debug logging level turned on.

I just finished rebuilding all of the fans in the bond bridge.  Didn't see your request for a debug log file until just now.  I am going to delete the bond node server, reinstall and discover all the devices.  I will put it in debug mode and send you results of the discovery.  Don't know if that will help you or not.  After I rebuilt the first fan in the bond bridge, it works reliably in IoX, so I am hopeful that this will fix my problem.  I'll send another reply with the log file in it.

I will take a look at your log file tonight.

Here's another question: did you migrate these nodes from your ISY 994i to IoX on Polisy and then (separately?) migrate the PG3 node server from Polisy to Polisy Pro? There is data stored with each node object in PG3, and I wonder if that data is not getting migrated. 

My configuration until recently was an ISY 994i ZW+ IR PRO and a Polisy PRO running PG3 nodes servers.  I moved off of the ISY 994i onto the Polisy Pro.  So, now everything is on the Polisy Pro.  Once the ZWave/Zmatter board is stable for all my Zwave devices, I'll buy an eisy and move everything over to it and get off the Polisy Pro.  Since UD has announced dropping support this year for the ISY 994i, I'm sure that the Polisy will not be far behind.  The 994i has been a great controller, but the weak link has been the microSD cards.  I've had two microSD cards get corrupted and had to rebuild.   

The remote control for the all the fans uses a single button to turn on and off the light.  So, I'll probably not do anything with the lights via programs.  With what you described regarding sync problems between the bond bridge and the remote control, it looks like more headache than it is worth.  However, I can do some programming around the fans now.