Replace failed ISY with another

msoileau
Go to solution Solved by MrBill,

My faithful ISY has died after many many years of service. I have a friend that recently migrated away from ISY and I can use his to replace my dead one. Is there a procedure anywhere that I can follow to replace it? I would assume basically follow the SD card replacement procedure, but use the SD card from my old ISY?

The dead ISY has the blue LED on power, but I have no network activity. I have cloned the SD card using dd, and everything seems good with the SD card. It really does appear that the ISY is just dead for some reason

If what you say is true you should be able to pop the SD card into the replacement unit and you're done...

If that's not true get back to us with some firmware version numbers of both units and we can help develop a plan.

If you decide to give it a go on your own one important thing to understand is if you put a brand new MicroSd card into an ISY the bootload will allow you to connect to the admin console, but that is NOT a full version of firmware, the very second thing to do is a load a firmware using Help > Manually Upgrade ISY

• Like 1

Now we need to talk about what the z-wave boards are, I assume you have a 500 and his only has a 300, so you want to swap them?  If that's the case then yes you should since your firmware is likely beyond 5.0.16C which is as far as a 300 series board can go.

Yes the firmware mostly resides in the SD card, there is a bare bones version with the bootloader.

Edited by MrBill
  • Haha 1
  • Solution
2 hours ago, msoileau said:

The dead ISY has the blue LED on power, but I have no network activity.

Speaking of which, you might try as the first step using his power supply on your ISY... it's a known fact the blue LED can still be lit with just a bad power supply.

• Like 1

We have seen our share of power supply issues and the ISY994i.

I had a weak one and the ISY994i was working sort of. I did a power cycle reset and it never came back up. All the LED's just pulsed on and off.

If you looked at the output an did not have a load on it. It could still read OK until loaded.

Edited by Brian H