Enbrighten direct wire indoor/outdoor switch doesn't stay connected

Ristin

I just installed this switch. I put the on/off switch in the z-wave position and pressed the program button while having my ISY add a z-wave device. The ISY found the Enbrighten switch, connected and installed. Everything was great, for about 2 minutes. Then the ISY lost communication with the switch. I tapped the program button on the Enbrighten and z-wave reconnected and worked fine for another couple minutes. The ISY has no issue reconnecting with the switch but won't stay reconnected.

I've just started working with z-wave devices and know very little about the protocol. My other z-wave device is a smoke detector and seems to work ok.

The switch is only 20ish feet from the ISY but I did move the ISY closer to see if that helped. No change, same issue.

After reading some z-wave posts I updated the ISY's firmware to 5.3.4. Still having issue.

1976854062_ScreenHunter_25Feb_2007_25.jpg.4c273ae8e36469ec3c2ea25325fa60e5.jpg

45 minutes ago, Ristin said:

I just installed this switch. I put the on/off switch in the z-wave position and pressed the program button while having my ISY add a z-wave device. The ISY found the Enbrighten switch, connected and installed. Everything was great, for about 2 minutes. Then the ISY lost communication with the switch. I tapped the program button on the Enbrighten and z-wave reconnected and worked fine for another couple minutes. The ISY has no issue reconnecting with the switch but won't stay reconnected.

I've just started working with z-wave devices and know very little about the protocol. My other z-wave device is a smoke detector and seems to work ok.

The switch is only 20ish feet from the ISY but I did move the ISY closer to see if that helped. No change, same issue.

After reading some z-wave posts I updated the ISY's firmware to 5.3.4. Still having issue.

1976854062_ScreenHunter_25Feb_2007_25.jpg.4c273ae8e36469ec3c2ea25325fa60e5.jpg

See the tips and tricks post. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the reply. I've read though the Tips & Tricks a couple times. I guess I don't understand Z-wave enough for that to help me. Signal range doesn't seem to be the problem.

Now that I've had more time to mess with the switch, I've found that when I press the manual on/off (program) switch on the Enbrighten, it will connect to the ISY for about 3 minutes. During this 3 minutes I can turn the switch on/off remotely and query the energy monitor. During the 3 minutes Agave will see the switch and allow me to control the Enbrighten. After 3 minutes the switch goes dark and the ISY reports no connection and the device disappears from Agave. Press the manual switch on the Enbrighten and it reconnects for another 3 minutes.

I've also noticed that the switch does reconnect by itself at some point every 24 hours. Even though I don't have real time communication with the switch, the energy monitor will send an update during the night. I also learned the Enbrighten will respond to queued on/off commands during that middle of the night wake up even though UD Mobile will complain the device isn't connected.

52 minutes ago, Ristin said:

Thanks for the reply. I've read though the Tips & Tricks a couple times. I guess I don't understand Z-wave enough for that to help me. Signal range doesn't seem to be the problem.

Now that I've had more time to mess with the switch, I've found that when I press the manual on/off (program) switch on the Enbrighten, it will connect to the ISY for about 3 minutes. During this 3 minutes I can turn the switch on/off remotely and query the energy monitor. During the 3 minutes Agave will see the switch and allow me to control the Enbrighten. After 3 minutes the switch goes dark and the ISY reports no connection and the device disappears from Agave. Press the manual switch on the Enbrighten and it reconnects for another 3 minutes.

I've also noticed that the switch does reconnect by itself at some point every 24 hours. Even though I don't have real time communication with the switch, the energy monitor will send an update during the night. I also learned the Enbrighten will respond to queued on/off commands during that middle of the night wake up even though UD Mobile will complain the device isn't connected.

There's 1 way to find out if range isn't the issue....move the device closer. If you do and things still don't work then you have a defective switch

• Like 1

lilyoyo1, I bow to you.Your Kung Fu is mighty!

I moved the ISY to an exterior window closest to the Enbrighton switch and it now works perfectly. Guess I need to add more line voltage powered z-wave devices to that room to act as repeaters?

Thanks

• Like 1