ISY994 to EISY .. go with USB PLM or stay old Serial PLM ... ?

junkycosmos
Go to solution Solved by Brian H,

One of the original old school setups with my isy994 which has sucessfully used my serial PLM for last decade via 75 foot ethernet drop going from my network cabinet (where ISY lives) to my electric panel (where PLM lives in dedicated outlet right off breaker panel).     

Moving to new EISY, have lot of Insteon devices in house and few Zwave

My question:  Would you: 

1. Look to move to new USB PLM with considerations to move PLM to noisy network cabinet ?

2. Stick with serial PLM (and serial to USB conversionkit) ?

I know EISY can work fine with serial PLM (via serial to adapter) OR is now the time to switch over to USB PLM?  Is the new USB PLM seen as any better then the serial PLM ?    Not sure if there is truely a difference in PLM hardware between 2413S  and 2413U or only the connector board on back end.    I see the current listing for 2413S notes it has been "upgraded" 

Just looking for whatever might last the longest and will put a spare of either on the shelf next to it .. 

https://shop.insteon.com/products/plm-serial-modem-interface?_pos=2&_sid=de92f9141&_ss=r  

https://shop.insteon.com/products/plm-usb-modem-interface?_pos=1&_sid=de92f9141&_ss=r

I have an Insteon power line only (no RF) 2412S which has been rock solid (knock on wood) 

If I ever upgrade to an eISY, I plan to use the adapter I built

My understanding is the only difference between the 2413S is the 2413U embeds the FTDI USB to serial chip on the daughter card inside the PLM.  

Edited by elvisimprsntr
  • Solution
21 minutes ago, elvisimprsntr said:

I have an Insteon power line only (no RF) 2412S which has been rock solid (knock on wood) 

If I ever upgrade to an eISY, I plan to use the adapter I built

My understanding is the only difference between the 2413S is the 2413U embeds the FTDI USB to serial chip on the daughter card inside the PLM.  

Sounds correct. Both new production 2413 PLM's have the same base board electronics. With a different interface to the outside world. Both models should have the same power supply capacitors. The 2413S has a new daughter board. With a better serial chip with better ESD protection and a protective network on the two external serial signals. One will have a subcategory ID for a serial and a different subcategory ID for the USB.

If you are going a long distance. I am not sure how you can use USB if the distance is over the USB specification distance.

Edited by Brian H

>>The 2413S has a new daughter board. With a better serial chip with better ESD protection and a protective network on the two external serial signals. One will have a subcategory ID for a serial and a different subcategory ID for the USB.

New serial chip is interesting and sounds nice given the 3-4 times I have had a PLM go blank - lose its entire link DB.  Last 2 times on current PLM I can attribute it to electrical storms with heavy lightning one time frying the sprinkler controller next to PLM .  Both times restore DB from ISY fixed and things are still working solid.      

Yes I do run a whole-home surge suppressor on the electric panel and no I do not enjoy replacing my PLM.  After installing the surge suppressor we stopped losing other random devices every year or so... 

Thx for the call out on the new chip

V2.3 Had the Fujucon TY caps for C7 and C13. TI MAX232EI serial chip

2.4 and 2.5 have the same TY caps and MAX232EI. With a new daughter board with a protective network on the two serial signals to the outside world.

Have not see a V2.6 so I can't say about any other changes.

• 3 weeks later...

I was in the same boat.  I made a cable adapter, which is very easy to do and I

kept my existing 2413S.  I did have some problems using instructions listed elsewhere on the forum, but reversing the Tx and Rx wires took care of it.  If you have any doubts about your ability to fashion such a cable, UDI sells a premade one for a nominal fee.

At some point down the road, I'll probably get a USB PLM but I'm in no rush.  Also, have a whole home surge suppressor and highly recommend getting one - not just for eisy, but many minor intermittent issues were resolved by adding it.

• Like 1