Switching from Keen to Flair

macjeff

I went with Keen Home years ago for smart vents mainly because they got 750k on Shark Tank.  Most of the time they have done a good job.  On my upper level we have an HVAC with ecobee and it would tell me in HOT summer days that it was not able to keep up with the demand.   I noticed one room was freezing and another was 85 degrees.  Since putting them in I have not had one Ecobee message of issues.

BUT.  Every once and a while they would go crazy.  Spoke to flair a year ago and they said Keen closes the vents at a temp and opens them at the same target temp.  So if your target was 72 and the temp was fluctuating right at 72 they would open/close/open close   Annoying and it would run battery down.  On top of that about every 3-6 months my account disappears in Keen.  They have to restore it to their cloud.  Most of the time its a random group of people (not just me) but there was one time everyone was out.  It takes them WEEKS to get me back online.  Now if I try to reset the password it even says no account exists.  This started again earlier this week.  Now I cant control my vents without getting on a step stool and manually moving them which they warn you not to do too much as it can damage the motor.  But some are closed and I need them open.

So I gave up and ordered flair pucks (multiple) and vents.

Its a plus that this works with ISY as in the basement I close it in summer as hot air rises and open in winter since it gets freezing down there. Even flair only has two options.  Temp Set which they go 1 degree above or 1 degee below.  So unlike keen a 72 degree temp in COOL mode would close only when it gets to 71 degrees and open back when it got 1 degree above.  (opposite for Heat Mode).   But with ISY I can put in the other MANUAL mode.  Tell the ISY to CLOSE when Ecobee is on Cool setting (Thanks @Jimbo.Automates for the Ecobee Nodeserver and then OPEN when Ecobee is on heat mode.  That takes care of the basement.

So sorry for the long explanation but wanted to get some feedback to if this nodeserver actually works and any other ideas of how people use it. 

And while I am in my 30 day return period please tell me anything I should know about Flair.  Good or Bad.

thanks

PS.  Read that Keen is being Sued because during covid they claimed that 3M was working with them to get covid filters for their vents.  That was a lie. They sold out of product and now none of the distributors will work with them as they fear they wont get paid due to the lawsuit.  So try to buy Keen Home vents.  Since middle of COVID there are ZERO to buy.  With that said I should have no issues selling mine on ebay right now!!!