Replace Togglelinc 2466S With On/Off Switch 2477S

smokegrub

An ancient Togglelinc has failed. I have factory reset it multiple times and selected Restore Device and Write Updates multiple times and the red apostrophe remains. I plan to replace the switch with an On/Off Switch (2477S). I haven't done this in about a decade so I wanted  to draw upon the expertise on this forum before proceeding. The Replace Device function appears the method of choice, but my understanding is that I must first add the new device. Is that true? If so I am going to have to fabricate a means of doing that using a modified extension cord! Or, can I remove the old switch, wire in the replacement and then use the Replace Device function. That would seem to be the more logical approach. Thanks for feedback.

I doubt the replace function will work since it doesn't typically let you replace an old device with a new one that is a different model.  I think it let you replace the single band devices with dual band ones, but that is about it from my experience.  You can try.  First add the new device to ISY, then right click on the old device and hit "replace with".  If it lists your new device in the options, then you can do it.  But I suspect it won't.  If it does, then that is all you need to do.  ISY will move all the scenes and programs to the new device and delete the old device.  The old device does not need to be installed for this to work, only the new device. 

However, you will likely have to add the new switch and rebuild all the scenes and programs from scratch.  I suggest not deleting the old one until you finish adding the new one.  Having the old one show up in all the scenes and programs is your guide to programming the new one the same.  Once complete, delete the old switch from ISY by right clicking it and hit delete.

EDIT:  Also, the old device needs to be in the root folder to use the "replace with" function.  If you have it in a sub folder, you first need to right on the old device and hit "remove from folder".  Leave the new device in the root folder as well until replace device is completed.

Edited by apostolakisl
  • Like 1

@smokegrub Probably the unit failed because of capacitors.  It isn't just PLM's that fail from caps.  Of my original 2476D devices, I had maybe 15 that failed and I found that about 2/3's of them were fixed after replacing caps.  It was kind of an exercise in "can I fix this" because I wasn't going to use them since I have gone all 2477D.  Knock on wood, I have not had issues with 2477D units going bad.  Maybe only 1 out of something like 60 of them.  But I did fix and use the PLM's because I had no other choice at the time.  And you may consider it since you have a device that I don't believe they make anymore.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...