Rules for KPL secondary buttons

yardman 49

Hello all:

Here is some information for those of you who create scenes through the ISY where the load (primary) and the secondary buttons from the same KPL are included in a scene as Responders. These are dictated by the way that the KPLs have been designed. We don't know yet if any of this will change with the release of the new version 1.5 KPLs:

1)- KPL A button must always be added last when adding primary and secondaries to a scene as Responders, otherwise the secondaries won’t backlight.

2)- If more secondaries are added to a scene after the primary has been added as a Responder, then the primary must be removed and added back in again to enable the secondary backlights. Otherwise, all of the secondaries on that KPL may then fail to backlight.

3)- If another device is added as an additional Controller to a scene, then the Responder KPL A’s must be removed from the scene, and then added back in again to enable the secondary backlights. Otherwise, all of the secondaries on that KPL may then fail to backlight.

This can be a huge inconvenience when modifying or adding to existing scenes, especially when multiple KPLs are used in a scene. But unfortunately, that how the KPLs work at this present time.

• 1 month later...

excellent post - i get this confused in my pointy head - could you do the rules for the opposite scenerio? when the secondary keypad button is the controller and the primary (load) button is included as a responder in the scene - that is what i use

Thank you Chris!

That's a handy time saver. Is this a recent development (V 2.5 or 2.6) or did I just miss it during the Beta releases?

An alternative to removing/adding links to ensure they are in the correct order in the database is to create your scene and then run "Restore Device" for the keypadlinc. In addition to rewriting the links to the device, it moves the links for the secondary buttons to the correct location in the database.
Thank your Chris!

That's a handy time saver. Is this a recent development (V 2.5 or 2.6) or did I just miss it during the Beta releases?

An alternative to removing/adding links to ensure they are in the correct order in the database is to create your scene and then run "Restore Device" for the keypadlinc. In addition to rewriting the links to the device, it moves the links for the secondary buttons to the correct location in the database.

Hello Mike and everyone:

I was running 2.4.15 (2.5) until recently, and this never seemed to work correctly for me. I always had to remove the primary, then add it back in.

I've recently gone to 2.6, but I haven't tried Chris' suggestion with 2.6.

Had a chance to test the restore function this morning (using V2.6). I have a "problem" KPL that has a bad habit of dumping it's link table. I noticed this morning that a number of secondary device buttons were again not responding (queries were flawless, KPL just forgot the link).

Relinking these devices would normally have required eliminating the Load link, adding the secondary links, and then rebuilding scenes.

To make a long story short, the restore fixed the broken links and restored the proper order for my scenes (just as Chris had stated).

Thanks ISY guys, this is a gem.

Hello Mike and everyone:

I was running 2.4.15 (2.5) until recently, and this never seemed to work correctly for me. I always had to remove the primary, then add it back in.

yardman 49,

You missed it by one code drop; the following was added to the 2.5 RC1 drop, and of course is in the final release (2.6):

- 'Restore Device' now removes links to unknown devices

- 'Restore Device' now removes duplicate links

- 'Restore Device' now moves keypad led links to front of link database

- 'Restore Device' now ensures link to PLM for responder only devices

Complete list:

http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?t=266

Hello Mike and everyone:

yardman 49,

You missed it by one code drop; the following was added to the 2.5 RC1 drop, and of course is in the final release (2.6):

- 'Restore Device' now removes links to unknown devices

- 'Restore Device' now removes duplicate links

- 'Restore Device' now moves keypad led links to front of link database

- 'Restore Device' now ensures link to PLM for responder only devices

Complete list:

http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?t=266

Great news! Thanks so much, Chris!

Best wishes

Archived