ratgdo Experiences

Goose66

Adding a topic to discuss experiences with the ratgdo device. My experience:

Took 5 1/2 weeks from ordering (Nov. 6) for my ratgdo device to arrive. Initial flashing and connection to my Wifi using Chrome browser, Windows 11, and a USB->micro USB cable was very easy. Configured it for my test MQTT broker and played with it using MQTT explorer to put it through its paces. However, the built-in configuration website is somewhat brittle. If you enter something wrong, or if you forget your password, you are stuck reflashing it to regain access. Of course, this time, if you are like me, it will be done with a laptop from the top of a ladder, so not quite as easy to do subsequent changes. The passwords for OTA and Wifi connection are hidden, with no "show" or "reveal" functionality, so it's easy to mess them up and "brick" the device (especially one handed from the top of the ladder). In addition, each time you flash it, it picks up a new Device Name, so watch for that.

Mine is hooked up to a Genie Screw Drive Pro (CM7600IC) so it is in "dry contact" mode. My GDO unit doesn't have exposed terminals for the door position sensors, but I was able to use tap splices on the cables from the door sensors to hookup the sensors to the ratgdo terminals and door status works perfectly. I only get door open, close, and stop functionality from the ratgdo, but my keypad has separate light and lock controls and those continue to work even with the keypad connected through the ratgdo. The obstruction sensors were too high of a voltage (12.95v) so I couldn't hook them up.

The status changes and commands are instantaneous - no cloud service or polling latency here. So the ratgdo plugin is already more capable than the MyQ node server was. There is no delay with beeping alarm when closing the door, which I thought I would like but is actually a bit unnerving when closing the door remotely. Also, I haven't thought through all the security implications here, and with holidays coming up I am unsure of whether I want it online while I'm not here. However, the lockout button on my keypad seems to lockout the ratgdo as well, so maybe just manually locking the doors when we leave will have it covered.

I am ordering ratgdo devices for my other doors now and taking down the MyQ Smart Garage system and I guess chucking it in the garbage. I hope to work with the developer to add light and lock control to my Genie GDOs from the ratgdo, as well as improve the discovery process so that the plugin is better at creating the requisite nodes based on your installation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Same as above...

BUT...

I am using 3 Craftsman(Chamberlain) MyQ enabled openers.

as above Win11, usb cable, etc for programming, super easy.

I have motion sensor switch on 2 openers and it does not report properly thru the ratgdo...yet....i can see on the website it is an option in progress, so hoping it will work soon, but not a deal breaker anyways. I have motion sensors in my garages already.

i was able to hook it up EXACTLY like it shows on the website and it worked first try, on number 2 and 3, first one i wasnt paying attention and got the obstruction sensors hooked up backward. It DID NOT like that. one fixedtho, it worked great.

I am now using the ratgdo NS that @Goose66 made up. it works all the functions so far other than motion, which is borked anyway. He does have a fix for an obstruction/lockout issue in the works for my type of openers. 

Other than the wait time on ordering the devices, I am VERY happy on how this works and REALLY happy i can round file all the MyQ garbage...app and all...

I am now almost completely local control!

• Like 1

As @Goose66 and @EWhite it was very easy to hook up and get it sensing on my Liftmaster with 2.0 security.

I did have one blip for those out there.  Mine loaded up with 2.51 and I could not get the control to work.

Needed to upgrade to 2.55 and all was well.  I agree the motion seems to be a work in progress.

I did a mod to the MQTT plugin and added a device for Ratgdo.  No doubt Goose's is a better deal but I had fun writing it anyway for those who are already using the existing plugin it means saving a slot ????  Ya I know.

Nice to flip the finger to the MYQ people!

• Like 1

Just in my pull was accepted so the MQTT plugin is up to version 0.11 and now has a Ratgdo device.

Looking at @Goose66 's plugin, it is much more professional, but my "baby" is pretty too!

(I see in your todo to change the requirement of naming, I would change that).

This community is a lot of fun, isn't it?

Multiple options are good. I myself have gone back and forth on the idea of making one plugin that works with everything that Home Assistant works with via MQTT and utilize the Home Assistant MQTT discovery protocol vs. making individual plugins for individual manufacturers or devices, and trying to be as "native" to each as possible.

My current thoughts are (number of plugin slots notwithstanding) that plugins that support as close to out-of-the-box, native devices as possible (even if they all use MQTT) AND map them to familiar Insteon/ZWave/IoX interfaces that we've come to know and understand serves the most people. And individual plugins developed by a group of developers  is probably the best way to achieve this.  But more options are always good, because not everybody has the same goals, level of expertise, or, frankly, time to put into it that some of us do. 😁

Edited by Goose66
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Goose66 said:

Multiple options are good. I myself have gone back and forth on the idea of making one plugin that works with everything that Home Assistant works with via MQTT and utilize the Home Assistant MQTT discovery protocol vs. making individual plugins for individual manufacturers or devices, and trying to be as "native" to each as possible.

My current thoughts are (number of plugin slots notwithstanding) that plugins that support as close to out-of-the-box, native devices as possible (even if they all use MQTT) AND map them to familiar Insteon/ZWave/IoX interfaces that we've come to know and understand serves the most people. And individual plugins developed by a group of developers  is probably the best way to achieve this.  But more options are always good, because not everybody has the same goals, level of expertise, or, frankly, time to put into it that some of us do. 😁

I think your current thoughts are spot on.

2 hours ago, hart2hart said:

You need 3.3v so don’t know if you are getting that out of any GDO. There are 3.3v power supplies out there, however, with micro-USB connector or can be wired into the ratgdo directly. Look for a 3.3v one for an Arduino.

Edited by Goose66
You need 3.3v so don’t know if you are getting that out of any GDO. There are 3.3v power supplies out there, however, with micro-USB connector or can be wired into the ratgdo directly. Look for a 3.3v one for an Arduino.

Thanks. I should have been clearer as I was thinking more of finding 12V and using a Buck converter to get it to 3.3V. That would put all of it on top of GDO.

Not a big deal either was as I’ve (like most) got open AC outlet on ceiling above it. Just threw away a bunch of the small Apple usb.
I decided to go with a car usb outlet, and connect to the ratdgo via a micro USB cable.  Just pop the top off, take out of enclosure, a weld wire to terminals and you have a very inexpensive power supply, that you can connect to the battery.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CPSXJ98
They have sell in 1, 2 and 5.
http://d2z8ydsemzif1x.cloudfront.net/monthly_2023_12/image.thumb.png.7466858480bf9f723ae72326df71e669.png

Thanks! Great idea. I’m guessing That auto adapter is likely a hardcoded 12V to 5V buck converter.

Ive got several of the generalized buck converters so now do I set it for 3.3V and wire direct from battery to ratgdo or use your method?

I haven’t pulled ladder out to look. Was locating 12V from battery on GDO difficult?

EDIT: I just read install instructions from designer and it appears the 3.3V terminal is part of soldered install method. I’m going with non soldered so will likely use the auto adapter method if locating and hooking to battery is not problematic. Otherwise, I’ll just use small USB dongle.

The device accepts power from USB.  So 12 volt battery -> cigarette usb power adapter -> standard USB cable -> micro usb port on ratgdo.  It must be converting the 5 Volts from the USB to 3.3 on it's own.  USB doesn't supply 3.3 volts.

See the white cord.  My solution takes some soldering albeit, super easy, just attaching the wire to the positive terminal and negative terminal on the cigarette adapter.  Everything else doesn't require soldering.  I used this to connect to the battery wires, only because I had them.  Better would be using something with copper to avoid the very long way down the road corrosion.
https://a.co/d/8WGxLVE

The device accepts power from USB.  So 12 volt battery -> cigarette usb power adapter -> standard USB cable -> micro usb port on ratgdo.  It must be converting the 5 Volts from the USB to 3.3 on it's own.  USB doesn't supply 3.3 volts.

See the white cord.  My solution takes some soldering albeit, super easy, just attaching the wire to the positive terminal and negative terminal on the cigarette adapter.  Everything else doesn't require soldering.  I used this to connect to the battery wires, only because I had them.  Better would be using something with copper to avoid the very long way down the road corrosion.
https://a.co/d/8WGxLVE

Thanks, I don’t mind soldering and will likely use the auto adapter.

The ratgdo has a 3.3V port but using it appears to require 2 other wires and I only saw an example of it with a version 1.0 as documented in the designers “Solder Method”.

Got mine just before Christmas and installed a few days after.

Our GDO is a Chamberlain Elite 3595 Security+ 1.0 with a Liftmaster 889LM "MyQ" control panel installed a few years back which will talk to security+ 2.0 remotes.

The ratgdo ended up being fussier about USB cables than I expected.   The failure of the device to appear when plugged in sent me down a wild good chase installing third-party USB serial drivers on recent MacOS -- as best as I can tell, this does not help and actually can make things worse as it may prevent the real drivers from working.   Once I found the right cable and had undone the damage from the driver installs all worked as documented.

Paul Wieland's recommended installation method (zip tie through the slots in the light housing cover) didn't look like it would work well for my GDO (the slots would put the unit too close to the light bulb) so I 3d-printed this mounting plate: https://www.printables.com/model/647426-ratgdo-v25i-case-and-mount

I'm still fiddling with configuration - would like to control the door and the light from an Insteon keypad, and have it trigger other lights to come on when opened after dark.   One thing I found odd was that neither the Ratgdo nor the Ratgdo Light were able to be a scene controller; I'm dinking with programs to do the equivalent but haven't found anything that behaves quite like I want.   Anyone have a config they really like?

PXL_20231227_211151895.jpg

1 hour ago, WSommerfeld said:

One thing I found odd was that neither the Ratgdo nor the Ratgdo Light were able to be a scene controller;

Is this using the ratgdo plugin? I can look into it. One reason I didn’t add it originally is that there is no good way to differentiate when the status changes because the plugin sent a command and when the status changes because another device sent a command.

"One thing I found odd was that neither the Ratgdo nor the Ratgdo Light were able to be a scene controller"

i also found this to be a problem. Alexa will not allow me to set up routines because of this. With myQ I was able to set up a routine to open and close the garage door.  .

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 4481hoods said:

Alexa will not allow me to set up routines because of this.

That doesn’t make a lot of sense. To be a scene controllerthe node has to send commands on events, e.g., when the door is opened (presumably through means other than an IoX command to the node), the GDO node will send a DON command to IoX. This is primarily used for devices that sense direct user interaction, e.g. a switch.

I don’t understand how lack of this capability would affect Alexa’s ability to control the door or put it in a routine?

Edited by Goose66

none of my stuff is scene controllers and i have well over 40 devices set up in Alexa.

I generally dont use scenes for anything just ceiling fan controllers and switches and thats about it.

Are you adding them via the portal? you have a choice to add devices as they are to alexa thru the ISY portal.

Posted (edited)

Adding to my ratgdo experience, one of the things that was extremely frustrating with MyQ is that, at least in my case with the IoS app, when you opened the MyQ app you seemed to get one open or close action, and then any subsequent button presses would just "spin" without performing the command. I had to close and reopen the MyQ app frequently if I wanted to do two things in one "session."

The UD Mobile->IoX->ratgdo plugin->ratgdo does not have this problem. The garage door(s) respond instantly to open and close commands, the status is updated right away, and I can fire off multiple commands in rapid succession if I want, even when my iPhone is moving between Wi-fi and 5G. Appears to be a much more stable communication architecture.

Edited by Goose66
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 12/22/2023 at 1:51 PM, hart2hart said:

Thanks, I don’t mind soldering and will likely use the auto adapter.

The ratgdo has a 3.3V port but using it appears to require 2 other wires and I only saw an example of it with a version 1.0 as documented in the designers “Solder Method”.

Thoughts of something like this..

Just received the v2.53i as well an looking into this converter that has a micro usb on the end so no need to solder anything... wire up to the 8500w battery similar to how ChuckBuilds did and then just plug the micro usb into the v2.53i...

Also found a straight version micro usb vs. 90 degree too... trying to determine if one is better than other based on reviews.... there are a ton on Amazon.. curious what others have had success with brand / model wise since most probably come from same source mostly..