i3 Keypad - which button controls the load by default

Andy P

I just installed an i3 keypad and was surprised when the load was controlled by the bottom button not the top button. According to the manual, the factory default is supposed to be the top button. Did anyone else have this experience?

I went looking for how to change which keypad button controls the load using the EISY admin console but did not find the option. Anyone know how to do this?

So, I factory reset the keypad by pulling out the airgap switch, then pushing it in until the beep stopped.

After the reset, the top button now controls the load, but I am left wondering. I also did a restore device from the AC to add back the links and all is working fine.

Andy

I'll be interested if they do respond. The manuals are a little vacant, no detailed guide just a setup guide. It indicates that the top button is for the load, but then there's this little gem:

5. Device ID

*Default is set for dimming. Press and hold to adjust brightness - learn more. The connected fixture can be assigned to a different button via compatible software such as Hub 2 with Director app.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 2:03 PM, Andy P said:

I went looking for how to change which keypad button controls the load using the EISY admin console but did not find the option. Anyone know how to do this?

A question... The i3 devices come with 2 device entries each:

• a device entry to control the switch
  • a "Flags" device entry which is more config info.

Did you review the Flags for the Keypad to see if the option is there?

4 hours ago, paulbates said:

I'll be interested if they do respond. The manuals are a little vacant, no detailed guide just a setup guide. It indicates that the top button is for the load, but then there's this little gem:

5. Device ID

*Default is set for dimming. Press and hold to adjust brightness - learn more. The connected fixture can be assigned to a different button via compatible software such as Hub 2 with Director app.

I was surprised that there was no manual way to change which button controls the load. Perhaps a way to upsell the Hub 2 and Director subscription?

Regardless, hoping the functionality can be integrated into IoX/eisy, since I too thought this might be a config flag but couldn't find anything in there to indicate.

1 hour ago, daedalus01 said:

I was surprised that there was no manual way to change which button controls the load. Perhaps a way to upsell the Hub 2 and Director subscription?

There's no manual way described, but I wonder if a manual way exists... and the i3 keypad manual is not as detailed / technical as the owners manual of previous keypads

Posted (edited)

Insteon has not yet responded to my ticket - I sent them a reminder. Meanwhile, I ordered a couple more keypads so will report back what I find with the others.

Edited by Andy P

I submitted a UDI ticket about this topic. I got a response from Chris that they have the specs and should be able to implement this. They will add support in the future.

• Like 2

I received the response to my ticket with Insteon. Sounds like they took it seriously and will investigate. Here are the details:

Hi Andy,

I'm sorry to hear that the load assignment is not set as expected out of the box. But I'm happy to hear that a factory reset does move it back to the top. We are looking into the issue as this appears to be a missed step in our QA process. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Just so I completely understand the concern, could you elaborate on how this disappoints you? My assumption is that you had spent time programming the keypad and then had to do it over again after the factory reset. 

Is there a forum post or other place where you heard others complaining of this similar issue?

What are you using to manage your Insteon devices? Hub/app, 3rd party controller, manually linking?

Thank and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Best regards,

Isaac

I RESPONDED WITH A LINK TO THIS THREAD AND RECEIVED THE FOLLOW UP:

Hi Andy,

Thanks for providing the additional information. 

It's unclear how many users are affected but this is the first I've heard of it, so hopefully just an isolated batch that was not factory reset after updating firmware. We've added a bit of text to the QSG page in case others fall into the same situation https://www.insteon.com/support-knowledgebase/get-started-kp014  

Currently the only way to move the load to a different button has to be done via Insteon Hub & Director app or other software that supports the feature. We have shared developer documents with our close partners, including UDI. 

Thanks for bringing this issue to our attention and for being a great customer!

Best,

Isaac

• Like 2