Motion Detection

It does but it only writes when detected. Currently does not clear after a time. I have been thinking of clearing it manually in the mqtt periodically after detection as a stopgap. 

Thanks. My ratgdo devices have not arrived yet so I’m doing a bit of preparatory planning.

Can I do the mqtt clear after say 2 minutes within a iox program? Could motion be detected using If Control (with logic to prevent continuous issues) vs If Status? If not, do we ask @Goose66 if it can be done in the node server?

Unlike the other status, the ratgdo firmware only appears to write out the motion status if the status read from the MyQ controller is 1 ("motion"). Specifically:

if(motionState == 1){
  sendMotionStatus();
  motionState = 0;
}

All of the other states are like "if(doorState != previousDoorState) sendDoorStatus();". I can log an issue for this on ratgdo Github page.

In addition, the state is retained, so it won't ever go away. One possibility is just to generate some command everything a new motion "detected" status message is posted, as opposed to having a "Motion" state value. We could generate a, e.g., DON3 command and call it "Motion" for programming purposes.

Motion detection would be a bonus and if the work arounds get us there — great.

If it’s not a big lift, it feels like getting in on ratgdo issues list and seeing if author thinks it’s worthwhile is reasonable.

Personally, I’m good either way since it’s already fantastic solution.

Thanks

Looks like the ratgdo developer is not interested in changing (or discussing) the fact that motion will only and always report "detected" status. He implies it is intended to be just an "event" -- not a state -- suggesting this is how other motion sensors work. Of course, this is clearly not how it is documented. Further, since the MQTT motion messages are retained, then every time anybody initially subscribes or reconnects, it will look as if a new motion "event" has occurred.

So we can do one of two things: 

1) Keep motion as a state and have the plugin set it "cleared" 60 or so seconds after the last "detected" event; or

2) send a command (e.g., DON3) from the GDO node every time the "detected" event is posted and remove the motion state from the node. I can try and deal with the initial motion "event" on plugin restart/reconnect.

I don't really want to add a "Motion" node, because there is really no way to know if the installation has a motion detector and so it would just be an extra node with "Unknown" state for the majority of users.

Let me know what folks think.

personal opinion is it just aint a big deal to me if it works or not.

if it were to work.. i would just say have it reset every 60 seconds or so and go from there.

that would in effect "fix" the issue, and every time motion was detected it would report as such.

my 2 cents :)

I looked at my Ring Camera NS devices where I can detect their motion actions.  Each camera is virtualized as a Light and a Motion Node:

http://d2z8ydsemzif1x.cloudfront.net/monthly_2024_01/image.jpeg.fbd961bd3a3d70bc0e082e532297193c.jpeg

and the node values for Motion are:

http://d2z8ydsemzif1x.cloudfront.net/monthly_2024_01/image.thumb.jpeg.1415b311bd0859ac5b990ab38c0f9c11.jpeg

In programs to detect motion, you code as:

http://d2z8ydsemzif1x.cloudfront.net/monthly_2024_01/image.jpeg.7589c1d10585a4b56f2018a5f55ae33e.jpeg

and that translates to:

If
        'Ring / Ring / Back Porch (Motion)' is switched Motion

This scheme works well for 4 Ring cameras on outside of my house.
Given that The Ring Motion node has Motion action and not a status of Motion, it appears to be similar to what we have with ratgdo. How opposed are you to adding the node and having it say "None" for those without a motion capable keypad? 

Thanks again, @Goose66.  My two ratdgo arrive Tuesday!
I addressed the idea of the “motion” node in the text above. Would just be an extra node that always said “online” but otherwise never generated a node event for the majority of users.

I’m sorry. I should have been clearer that you were describing something in option 2 that was parallel to Ring node server which works very well for me.

I should have just said here’s my vote for option 2.

Again, thank you.

No worries. And I did take away your vote for option 2 (sans the separate node 😜). But now that I think about it, there's absolutely no reason not to do both option 1 and option 2 at the same time, so that's probably what I'll go with.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
No worries. And I did take away your vote for option 2 (sans the separate node ). But now that I think about it, there's absolutely no reason not to do both option 1 and option 2 at the same time, so that's probably what I'll go with.

Thank you, @Goose66 I just install 3.25 and see motion. I’ll text it in the next few days for both state and event.

Thank you!

PS I’ve removed all usage of the myQ nodes so do I just delete the node server to let it RIP.
28 minutes ago, Goose66 said:

Yes. The MyQ plugin is dead. It’s been removed from the Plugin store. My next step is to physically take down the MyQ hardware and toss it in the garbage.

Thanks again and MyQ! is gone.

Did you decide not to charge for ratgdo plugin?  I'd gladly purchase and or make a contribution for all your work on it.

• Like 1

@Goose66 Just upgraded to 3.25. Motion node added. Currently at unknown, probably because it hasn't been triggered yet. 

Question for clarification: The lockout node disables any remote control of the door, but still allows the wall controller to open / shut the door? So not to be confused with the "lock" that the door has that throws locked when the door is closed? 

thanks. Have it installed in two pole barn doors. This summer, will add to my three house doors too. Great!

23 minutes ago, dbwarner5 said:

Question for clarification: The lockout node disables any remote control of the door, but still allows the wall controller to open / shut the door? So not to be confused with the "lock" that the door has that throws locked when the door is closed? 

There is only one state here, and it reflects the lockout function of the GDO that prevents remote activation by RF controllers. The ratgdo publishes status messages for it with the topic ".../status/lock" and the plugin calls it "Lockout". It can have the values of "locked" and "unlocked".

• Like 1